Author Topic: EtherCAT master "INIT NO_COMM"  (Read 4406 times)

busarider29

• View Profile
EtherCAT master "INIT NO_COMM"
« on: January 29, 2016, 01:48:59 PM »
I'm new to TC3 and in the process of commissioning a new machine.  We just got done wiring and power up.  In the EtherCAT master (Device 1 EtherCAT), under the "Online" tab, all the devices show "INIT NO_COMM".  I am using remote IO and using an EK1122 from the main rack to an EK1101 on the secondary rack.  The Run LED on the EK1122 is off, the led status lights on both EtherCAT connections is solid green, so according to Infosys, EtherCAT connections are good (good cable) but no communications on the EtherCAT bus.  That's obvious from my dilemma.  I have the EtherCAT cable running out from X2 on the EK1122 to X1 on the EK1101.  I believe that is correct as well.  I have 24VDC power running to both sets of terminals on the CX2100 (power supply) and the EK1101, so I should have power on the E-bus and power for the terminal I/O. 
It's obvious that I don't have E-bus communications but what is not obvious to me is why??  Any suggestions and what to try, or look for?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: EtherCAT master "INIT NO_COMM"
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 02:41:46 PM »
When I have problems like that, I always start a new project in System Manager, connect to the Controller, put it in Config mode, then scan the hardware. That verifies the hardware is connected and can be seen.

busarider29

• View Profile
Re: EtherCAT master "INIT NO_COMM"
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:20:09 AM »
Thanks Archie.  I'll keep that in my notes.  The problem was I had the EtherCAT master configured to use the wrong adapter.  Because I was able to log in to the PLC and go online, I figured all of that was correct so I didn't bother checking it.  I had it configured to use one of the two Ethernet adapters instead of PCI, which is what it needed.  Banged my head on that one for longer than I care to admit, but I guess that's how you learn.