Author Topic: Using Tag Systems  (Read 5829 times)

justin.holmes

• View Profile
Using Tag Systems
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:27:31 AM »
I cannot find anywhere a sample or tutorial on how to use Advanced HMI with a tag-based system. I have used it quite a bit with logix500 and I am trying to figure how in the world to use it with logix5000. My assumption was that the tag name would replace the addresses but it does not seem to work at all. Any references or tutorials out there that I can take a peek at? I am completely without direction here lol.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Using Tag Systems
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »
As an example, let's say you are using a DigitalPanelMeter. On a controller scope tag you would only use the tag name in PLCAddressValue.

If you a program scope tag, you have to prefix the tag name so it knows how to find it:

PROGRAM:ProgramName.TagName

justin.holmes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I am doing it correctly though. I typed it in exactly as you you suggested and got the same error "Invalid address."

Here is a screen shot of what I put in.

My scope for the tag was the default program that logix5000 adds to the project, "MainRoutine." I tried "MainProgram" as well, as you can see in the screen shot which is the parent name for the routine and what the tag scope seems to me set to.

I also tried plugging in the actual controller I/O address and that did not work either....Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. This system worked so easy with 500.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
Can you also post a screen shot of your variable list?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »
You may also want to create a DINT tag in Controller Scope to see if it works just to verify communications. Are you using a ControlLogix or CompactLogix? If ControlLogix, is the processor in the first slot?

justin.holmes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
I am using a compact logix right now. The processor in this setup is in slot 0. The tags that I have tried reading were BOOL in type and also one aliased to an output address. Neither seemed to work.

I am not entirely sure what variable list your are speaking of. As of now I have no variable in my VB program....just testing the connection with some default AHMI tools. I didn't want to write any programs until I could figure out how to use the tag style with AHMI.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »
I was referring to the variable list in the PLC. I was thinking if I see it, maybe something will stand out.