Author Topic: Upgrading from 3.26 to 3.40  (Read 2336 times)

kf4ozb

• View Profile
Upgrading from 3.26 to 3.40
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:50:24 AM »
Archie,

Thanks for the update. I look forward to testing it.  I'm curious though what the standard method of upgrading the core advancedHMI is.  Do you copy the contents of the zip file into your project folder and rebuild, or setup a new project using the new core files then import all of your custom code into the new project.

I haven't seen anything on the forum regarding this. If I've overlooked it I apologize.

Thanks,

Mickey

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Upgrading from 3.26 to 3.40
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »
The easiest way to upgrade is to open the new version, then right click AdvancedHMI in the solution explorer and select Add->Existing Item. Then select the forms (.vb) files from your previous project.

Depending on how complex your project is, it may require a few modifications after importing.

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
I will try it also, but coming from a lower version, do not know which one as my project was started by a college and does not know what version he used back in October. I think is a really early 3.0X version.

I had problems with some controls reading from SLC 5/05 and some other controls from CompactLogix (same VB app at the same time reads from both) as someone stated before (Error -20), I found some ways to go around them, not pretty, but worked out. Now I still have a problem, after a couple of hours running the app would freeze and the memory load on windows task manager will show that is consuming more than 500mb (is running on a Pentium 4, 512mb in ram PC). Stopping the process and starting the app would solve it. I believe is caused by some instruction filling all the available memory, so I want the update to check if it can solve it.

Just really started with visual basic, so please go easy on me.

Will report what happens then.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:36:53 PM by Sprungmonkey »

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »
Archie

I'd been trying to upgrade from 3.26 (I think, someone erased version number...) to 3.40 or 3.41, which ever helps me with error reading I am having in my project. These usually are coming from reading a string from a SLC 5/05, by basic label I have not been able to. I was successful using a MessageDisplayByValue control, and taking its value from a string (strange but it works, but not every time). I added a similar control but is not reading anything.

Upgrading to 3.53 is not an option, as time is not on my side and the app got very complicated and full of controls to be ported in a short time.

All my attempts to do it, have been full of errors and I have nor been able to get the main form complete. Been adding existing items (.vb files, and modules), recreating a dataset, etc. but unlucky.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »
Let me know what some of the errors you get and I can try to point you in the right direction. Sometimes a simple Find and Replace can fix many errors quickly.

/\