Author Topic: FactoryTalk View Studio v10  (Read 2230 times)

bachphi

• View Profile
FactoryTalk View Studio v10
« on: June 21, 2018, 04:04:07 PM »
I have not touched the FTV  for a number of years ( thanks to Archie), but recently I ran into a PVP using v5.
I seemed to recall that starting from v5, v5.1  one can convert the MER file back to APA, so that was a big improvement from v4 and prior.
But then Rockwell introduced V6 and 64bit, and since then it's been either nightmare or a lot of hassle trying to find a 32 bit machine with FTV and then try to convert/export to the 64 bit.

To my surprise, v10 now can convert 32bit apa or 32bit mer file without the need of a 32 bit machine. The download size is huge  over 2.5GB, but the software seemed to run much faster than my recollection.

However, the v5/v5.1/v6 mer file that it produce will not be able to convert back to apa file.
===================================================
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.
===================================================

Phrog30

Re: FactoryTalk View Studio v10
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »
To my surprise, v10 now can convert 32bit apa or 32bit mer file without the need of a 32 bit machine. The download size is huge  over 2.5GB, but the software seemed to run much faster than my recollection.

They mentioned that at TechEd last year.  They said an engineer figured out how to do it.  Apparently it was always on their to do list, but I guess it took them that long to figure out how.

Every time I have to deal with FTView I cringe at how limited the software is.  I bet you still can't scroll in the tag browser.  No scripting is a deal breaker for me.  Why I can't press a button and set a tag and open a display with one command is beyond silly.  Never understood why SE and ME are so different.