Author Topic: Easter Eggs Anyone?  (Read 1431 times)

AabeckControls

• View Profile
Easter Eggs Anyone?
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:51:13 PM »
I like to have some fun while deep in programming (relieves some stress & lightens the pressure to get the project done) so I occasionally hide an Easter Egg or 2 in my projects.

I was just wondering what anyone else has put "extra" in their projects.

A simple one I do is casually find out the owners birthday & put a compare in the PLC to set a bit on his birthday & use it to make an object visible on that day. I found that the object appears briefly at first until it figures out it should be off, so I put the text as a space, with alternate text of the birthday wish - controlled by the same bit.  Also have put a birthday screen with the FormChangeButton only being visible on that day.

Have thought of a few things to do on April 1st, but common sense has prevailed & I didn't do them. (One was going to be make the "Home" FormChangeButton not visible on 4/1 and have a different button that read "Home" appear but go to a different screen).

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Easter Eggs Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:03:15 AM »
I wouldn't call the goofy stuff that I do in software Easter-eggs exactly, more like shenanigans.  For example one time I put a do not press button on a screen when we were testing a machine at our facility.  All it did was sound the horn on the machine as if it were going into automatic mode, but it didn't really do anything.  One of our assembly guys called me a few hours later and complained that every time he tried to put the machine into automatic, it would do nothing after the horn was done sounding.  I say: "You were pressing the do not press button weren't you?".  I get a 5 second pause, then: "a$$hole", click. 

My shenanigans get me in trouble once in a while.  No humor.