Author Topic: Visual Studio 2019 Form Design View Errors  (Read 13635 times)

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Visual Studio 2019 Form Design View Errors
« on: June 18, 2019, 08:33:40 PM »
Visual Studio 2019 has a bug that will nearly every time show an error if opening a project that had a form in Design View open from the last session. My recommendation to prevent seeing this error and having to take action to fix it is to do this:

Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->General
Remove the check for Reopen Documents on Solution Load

DavidSr

• View Profile
Re: Visual Studio 2019 Form Design View Errors
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 04:54:20 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Archie, I was just getting ready to post about this.

See image.  Is this one of the errors you are referring to?
David

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »
Yes, that is a typical error you get. The solution is to do Windows->Close All Documents then exit VS and re-open

The best I can tell is that VS is trying to display the form before everything is fully loaded. I sent the problem to Microsoft and their response was that it is not a priority to fix.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 11:09:44 AM »
This is the report to Microsoft. If anyone has an account there, please up vote so they will give it more priority.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/540557/vs2019-winform-designer-code-error-on-opening-visu.html

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 01:44:07 PM »
This is the report to Microsoft. If anyone has an account there, please up vote so they will give it more priority.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/540557/vs2019-winform-designer-code-error-on-opening-visu.html
You got it! I also voted down the other guy, :=).
===================================================
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.
===================================================

DavidSr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 07:33:21 PM »

Archie I added a comment but I don't know if that helps and I don't know what you mean by "Up Vote" Sorry I am not familiar with MS reporting at all. Are you referring to the Thumbs Up or is there something else to help increase priority?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:36:45 PM by DavidSr »
David

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »
Click the up vote as shown in the attached picture. If it gets enough up votes, maybe Microsoft will re-consider its priority.

DavidSr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 10:23:54 AM »
I updated my VS2019 to the latest release and still have the same problem.  Microsoft closed your report and disabled up votes so I posted a new report on the same issue. 

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/635700/visual-studio-launch-errors-vs2019.html

Click the up vote as shown in the attached picture. If it gets enough up votes, maybe Microsoft will re-consider its priority.
David

DavidSr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 01:13:06 PM »

Hi Archie,   Got a reply..  Take a look..   I have not responded et. I will create a new solution and attach it to the report later.     https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/635700/visual-studio-launch-errors-vs2019.html
David

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 01:26:24 PM »
I upvoted your post. Hopefully they won't dump it as quick as they did mine.

Attached is the project I used to reproduce the problem. Feel free to use it. It seems to be an intermittent problem. It seems to reproduce most of the times when I double click the .sln file to open. If I open VS first, then use it to open the solution, it doesn't have the problem.

EDIT : It seems that once I get the error, it no longer matters how I open the solution and it will always give the error until I close the design view.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:30:15 PM by Archie »

DavidSr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »
Archie I just responded to MS and attached your file.  Thank you.
Now if you other ADVHMI users would help everyone by up-ticking this it would help hopefully, You owe it to Archie to do so, he has given us so much, a few moments of your time to create an account on MS so you can help is not asking very much and if you already have an account it will take you all of 5 seconds.

See:
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/635700/visual-studio-launch-errors-vs2019.html
David

DavidSr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 09:24:58 AM »
Archie I received another response from MS, I think it best for you to handle this since first, you created the test file, and second you are well versed in this area and I am not. 
I sent you an email at your support email address.
   Let me know.

I upvoted your post. Hopefully they won't dump it as quick as they did mine.

Attached is the project I used to reproduce the problem. Feel free to use it. It seems to be an intermittent problem. It seems to reproduce most of the times when I double click the .sln file to open. If I open VS first, then use it to open the solution, it doesn't have the problem.

EDIT : It seems that once I get the error, it no longer matters how I open the solution and it will always give the error until I close the design view.
David