Author Topic: Multiple Controls, best practice  (Read 2876 times)

lostcontrol

• View Profile
Multiple Controls, best practice
« on: April 22, 2014, 01:50:49 AM »
Hi,
The current application I am working on is a step-based system, with 48x steps, 2x fields per step. The method I have used for entering the data is a standard text box.
All is working ok & as expected, but there is noticable delays when opening the forms with the text input fields.
When I say delay, is only 2-3 sec, but I think it should be better performing than this. Sometimes, the form colour is not what it should be either.

I am experimenting using a tab control, with everything based on the one form, but not sure if that best practice or not..?

Does anyone have a suggestion that may make this faster.? Would using the AdvancedHMI controls as opposed to a text box make any difference?

Another option I have just thought of, is to use a Data set viewer, that the fields required to be edited are either selected or tabbed through.
This would be less taxing I think, but changes the feel of the application compared to the rest.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Multiple Controls, best practice
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 07:12:34 AM »
Does your forms with the standard TextBoxes also include AdvancedHMI controls, such as BasicLabels?

The first time a form is created with AdvancedHMI controls can be slow as each item establishes communications with the PLC. In order to avoid this delay every time the same window opens, it is a best practive to only hide the form and not close it. There is a code snippet on the MainForm that should be coppied to each new form that will stop the form update when it is hidden. This prevents from excessive communications when the form is hidden.

lostcontrol

• View Profile
Re: Multiple Controls, best practice
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 04:10:43 AM »
Does your forms with the standard TextBoxes also include AdvancedHMI controls, such as BasicLabels?
No, just plain text box's & labels.
There are > 96x text box's, as well as > 96x plain labels. Each text box has an associated 'click' that enables data entry from a numeric popup.

The problem I have found so far with the data grid viewer, is that it is not that customisable where it can selected certain columns etc.