Author Topic: Renaming  (Read 1344 times)

pal

• View Profile
Renaming
« on: June 20, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
Hi Archie ,

With all the revisions coming through , I've been having problems keeping up with where all the various screens I've been experimenting with are . I've started renaming the solution to , for
example , AHMIv398sMonitorV3 . I notice I now have 2 .suo files . It has belatedly occurred to me that there may be other side effects to doing this . Am I OK to keep on renaming , or will it cause other problems down the line ?

Paul

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Renaming
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:44:08 PM »
Renaming can sometimes you get solution into an unusable state. It all depends on how and where you rename it. I always recommend avoiding renaming and instead make a separate directory for each project.

The .sou file only contains your VS settings in order to put you back to where you were each time you open a solution. You can actually delete the .sou files and it will not cause problems.

pal

• View Profile
Re: Renaming
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 08:13:59 PM »
What I've been doing is extracting the new version , building it , right clicking on the 1st item in the solution explorer and renaming it in the properties window . Rebuild again the save in a base folder .
From there I can copy it to various project folders , as required  , and add the AdvancedHMI folder from older version projects . The big advantage for me is that , when I open VB , the list of recent projects gives the different names instead of AdvancedHMIv35 for every entry .

Paul