Author Topic: Communication Distance Limits  (Read 669 times)

DavidSr

• View Profile
Communication Distance Limits
« on: February 26, 2019, 09:00:32 PM »
 This is just an FYI
Don't take the communications distance limitations for Ethernet or DF1 RS232 as though there is some magical pair of virtual wire cutters going to stop communicating at 300' for Ethernet or 50 for RS232 or cause flaky communications.

Depending on your electrical noise environment you will be surprised that you can get reliable communications on both protocols much farther then the stated standard.  I have connected Ethernet up to a thousand feet to a POE security camera without an injector and had no issues. 500 feet is clearly reliable for many applications. There does not seem to be a significant voltage drop with the increased wire length. Signals are not attenuated significantly in my experience.

I have connected to a PLC 5/20 RS232 Port with RSLOGIX and Advanced HMI up to 250' using Shielded CAT 5 direct burial Ethernet with absolutely no issues.

You don't need the expensive Belden Blue Hose 9463 for DH+ either for a lot of installations. For non critical applications I run CAT 5 for almost everything, I get a cheap rolls at lowes - 1000' Copper  for 60 bucks.  The outer jacket is stiff and brittle after a while but once it is in place -----.
 Haven't tried copper clad aluminum.

I would just suggest before you go buy some expensive equipment, just try it. An AB Shop set up a demo with DH+ over a barbed wire fence.

I am currently using CAT5e with DH+ to RS Logix and for RS232 I have Cat5e connected to a 50 ft Serial cable to get 80 Feet for the ADVHMI

Can't hurt to try but If I were installing in a factory, Yes I would follow the standard protocol. If you don't AB will tell you to change it if you start having issues. They are fussy about cabling for all of their products, especially drives.

Certainly for a LAB anything you can hook up to it will work.  Got some bailing wire?  ;)   

David