Author Topic: multiple crashes on copying components  (Read 1105 times)

HMT

• View Profile
multiple crashes on copying components
« on: September 24, 2014, 04:26:10 AM »
Hi,  I have just started using Advanced HMI and have been very impressed with playing with it so I have decided to use it for a HMI design for a customer in a real application.  Unfortunately I'm now getting a lot of errors when I'm copying components.  I have several components on a Tab control which I've laid out on Tab 1, if I copy to tab 2 it builds OK but if I copy again to tab 3 the Advanced HMI controls start throwing unhandled exceptions and crash the design environment.

The exceptions are "Object reference not set to instance of an object" for several controls, the controls then get disabled and I need to close Visual Studio and reopen the project to access my design.

I would like to continue to use it but I have a deadline and need to decide whether to persevere of start writing the HMI code myself.  Is this a known bug and can it be resolved?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:29:44 AM by HMT »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: multiple crashes on copying components
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:48:52 AM »
Unfortunately Visual Studio will do this once in a while and it is mostly because the project is open source and is recompiled often by Visual Studio. Whenever VS gets unstable, the best solution is to go into the AdvancedHMI and AdvancedHMIDrivers folders and delete both \bin and \obj directories. This forces VS to recompile everything. You can also delete the file AdvancedHMI.sou

HMT

• View Profile
Re: multiple crashes on copying components
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
Hi Archie,  thank you very much for your quick reply.  I'm just trying that now.  I have been playing with it today and realised that the crashing is design time and I can get the project to build by closing and reopening it.  I dont mind this so long as I can produce an HMI that is stable when its with the customer.

One other thing I have been struggling with a little is the addressing.  Im using Advanced HMI with 2 PLCs that are customers own design on Modbus TCP.  I have managed to get the components to read the holding register by putting the digit 4 in front of the address, but I cant seem to get it to read coils.  So for address 1600, putting 41600 gets the data into the component but putting 1600 or 11600 does not.  Any ideas? At the moment Im fudging it by using whole registers for digital IO but would be nice to read single bits.

Regards,
Heather