Author Topic: Digital panel meter and floating point  (Read 3849 times)

Bill Scruggs

• View Profile
Digital panel meter and floating point
« on: October 04, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
I have a project that is behaving oddly. I have narrowed it down to the basics as to better explain it.
I add digital panel meters looking at F8:12, F8:22, F8:32, ect. When I get to F8:72 the meter will not read the data. (Shows 0) I am using a Micrologix 1400 and also tested it on a Micrologix 1100 with the EthernetIPforPLCSLCMicroCom1 Driver. If I delete one of the other meters like F8:22, then F8:72 will read correctly. Is there any work around for this?

Bill Scruggs

• View Profile
Re: Digital panel meter and floating point
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:22:43 AM »
I tested this again today with version 371 and 361, same results.

Friedrich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 10:54:14 AM »
I haven't tried reading any floating points, but I had another issue with reading bits; http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=377.0
I don't know if this issue has been resolved, or if it's even the same issue with the EthernetIPforPLCSLCMicroCom1.
But it's easy to test, just decrease the "gap" in adressing of the floating points and see if it works.

Bill Scruggs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
Thanks Friedrich. I read that earlier post and agree with you that it is probably related. In my original program there were very few gaps in the data. I was reading most of the registers between F8:10 and F8:80. I made the test program just to make sure what was happening.

Thanks for the input.

Bill Scruggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
Update. I added a second driver to my test program (EthernetIPforPLCSLCMicroCom2) looking at the same IP address and split the data between the 2 drivers. It works!! Now I have to test it on the main program.

Bill Scruggs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 03:22:07 PM »
Well it did not work in my full project. I'm getting "System.IndexOutOfRangeException" error and flickering pilot lights and switches, then failure. Anybody have any ideas? HELP!!

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 12:55:48 AM »
Hi, i am a c sharp express 2010 user and wanted to make AdvancedHMI dll so that i could use them in my c sharp project. i created a class library project in vb express 2010 , added all vb files for control (from AdvancedHMI control folder) and added reference to ...........
We are the leading the world in providing best C4090-456 questions gre and APPLE prep solutions New York University.

Friedrich

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 02:02:37 AM »
The problem seems to be very related with the one I had. Floating points are 32 bits, so if the problem specificly concerns the "space" (bits) between variables that are being read, then you need to reduce the space between your floating points:
20 * 16 bits = 320 bits
10 * 32 bits = 320 bits

Simple thing to do is to make a new project and add component by component and see when you get the "IndexOutOfRangeException". Once you get it, you can fiddle around with adressing and whatever you want to until you find what is causing the problem.
I don't know what version of AdvancedHMI you are using right now, but you could try 3.6.2.

Bill Scruggs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:27:43 AM »
Thanks again, Friedrich. I only get the "IndexOutOfRangeException" when I was trying to us the second com driver. I narrowed my problem down to not being able to read a span of more than 58 F8 variables if I am reading from each group of 10. I can read F8:0 to F8:58 fine, but F8:59 shows 0.(No errors Showing) If I stop reading all variables in the F8:20s range for example,then f8:59 works. I hope that makes sense. The only time spacing matters is if I use 1 or more in a group of 10. I'm going to try to move half of my F8s to F9s and see if that works.

Bill Scruggs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:32:10 AM »
I moved all of my F8 files greater than 50 to an F9 file and read them from there. Working fine so far!
Thanks..

Friedrich

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 03:31:52 PM »
Glad it worked out for you! Are you still using two com.drivers?

Bill Scruggs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
No I deleted the second com driver. It was throwing all kinds of errors. I just finished the project and it doing fine now. Thanks for the support! Hopefully Archie will come up with a solution.