Author Topic: Form Size Limited By Laptop Screen  (Read 936 times)

AabeckControls

• View Profile
Form Size Limited By Laptop Screen
« on: February 19, 2019, 06:59:09 AM »
I just made a update to a working HMI using VS2017Community on my laptop at a customers location. I think the project was made using AHMI ver 399s-t, or around then.  I have tested this on a ver 399x HMI and it does the same on the laptop.

The problem is that on the pages I made changes on the laptop the screen size changed to the limited height of the laptop. The HMI is 1280 x 1024 resolution and the laptop is 1600 x 900. At first I though I did something so I went back in and tried to change the affected screen sizes back, but as soon as I pressed <Enter> the size change from 1024 to 900 height. I had to borrow a monitor from the customer and open VS on that monitor, then I could set the height correctly and rebuild.

Is there a way to override this, or is it in VS itself?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Form Size Limited By Laptop Screen
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 08:01:27 AM »
This has been a behavior of VS for quite some time. There are various work arounds, but none of them are ideal. The one case I had the issue, my workaround was to place a panel on the form and set its size to what is needed, then place everything on the panel. It was not a good work around because it made scrolling awkward.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/60e3b413-7746-46d4-8351-0c7f4e38378f/does-form-size-has-any-limitation-like-maximum-width-or-maximum-height

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 09:01:53 AM »
Archie,

Thanks. I was figuring it was in VS.

I did see in the link they updated the next version so this could be changed, but said it wasn't tested yet. Maybe by VS2064???

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »
I just installed the preview edition of Visual Studio 2019 Community today and the first thing I tested was to see if the screen size is limited to the display, as I had the problem with above.

On my laptop I can make a screen 3220 x 1110 and on my main desktop it goes to 4760 x 2700 in the new VS2019. That on both displays is about 2-1/2 times the screen width and almost double the height.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 11:06:54 PM »
This is good news that the problem has been fixed in VS2019.

I did a little bit of experimenting with another nuisance issue that has existed in VS for a while. When creating custom controls, if you had a form open with the custom control on it and modified the code for the control, the form would be replaced with errors and you had to close VS and re-open. This seems to also be fixed.