Author Topic: Visual Studio Community 2015???  (Read 6528 times)

AabeckControls

• View Profile
Visual Studio Community 2015???
« on: September 14, 2015, 09:05:39 PM »
Just notice Microsoft now has VS Community 2015 for download. Has anybody run this yet? Any noticeable changes (or bugs?)

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Studio Community 2015???
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »
Hmm, I may give it a try.  I've stuck with 2013 Express because the system requirements said that Community Edition required 20GB of space (which I was not willing to part with).  Now I see 2015 community edition requires 4gb of space, which although seems pretty high, it's on par with 2013 express.

edit:  though now I see they only mention Windows 8.1 so I'm out.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:34:35 PM by dmroeder »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:12:48 PM »
I've been using VS2015 Pro for about 6 weeks now on my laptop with Windows 7. And I have been using VS2015 Community on my other computer with Windows 10.

At first glance there is very little difference. On my Windows 10 PC it does allow me to develop universal apps that can run on Windows 10. This definitely has my interest because it is how you write apps that run on Windows 10 on the Raspberry Pi. I have started investigating what it would take to port AdvancedHMI to being a Universal app platform. This would open the possibility of running HMI apps on Windows phone, Raspberry Pi, Windows 10 tablets, and Windows PC all with the same application. Could possibly be the future of AdvancedHMI version 4.0

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 03:12:47 AM »
...Now I see 2015 community edition requires 4gb of space,....

When I started the install it told me it needed 32GIG of hard drive space (of course I did check all the options at install) Good thing this laptop has 750GIG's. And when I get home my AdvancedHMI dedicated desktop has 500GIG's.

The one thing I have had happen during install is it kept stopping & saying a file is missing & have to download it from the internet (5 times so far & still installing after 4 hours)

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
Aww, false advertisement.  I was suspicious that the disk space requirements went down.  My work only gives us 256GB drives so I cannot afford the space.

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »
...My work only gives us 256GB drives so I cannot afford the space....

At my day job, all computers are bought by the "IT Guy" & he thinks 80GIG's are big enough hard drives for any computer - even overused CAD desktops. And he has everyone mapped to a network hard drive that's a whopping 1 Terrabyte (about 50 computers using it!) (My main desktop has a 1TB & a USB external 1TB)

The smallest hard drive I own is 250GIG on an old Windows XP laptop I carry around for older 16 bit & DOS programs, and I don't store a lot of my files on it - just what I need & then what I need for a job I'm going to on a Flash drive.

... This would open the possibility of running HMI apps on Windows phone, Raspberry Pi, Windows 10 tablets, and Windows PC all with the same application. Could possibly be the future of AdvancedHMI version 4.0

I think having a Windows phone or tablet based AdvancedHMI, & put a WiFi router in the control panel would be great - especially for maintenance & setup, taking the WiFi router with me when I'm done. Hope this does appear.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:50:13 PM by AabeckControls »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 01:02:59 PM »
I think having a Windows phone or tablet based AdvancedHMI, & put a WiFi router in the control panel would be great - especially for maintenance & setup, taking the WiFi router with me when I'm done. Hope this does appear.
Tablet based is already currently possible. I have both a generic 8" tablet that I paid about $100 for and a surface pro tablet. I have used both of them in the field running an AdvancedHMI app. Not too long ago I was doing a system startup, so I put a wireless router on the system and made a quick HMI for my 8" tablet. This allowed me to roam around the room and turn devices on and off for verification.

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »
Archie,

I just ordered a tablet from Best Buy, should get it Friday.

Do I have to install Visual Studio on it - or just copy the Debug folder to it to run an HMI?

Anything else I have to do?

(I do have a spare WiFi router that I upgraded doing nothing other than  transmitting a SSID from my car - just for fun)

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 03:35:47 PM »
You shouldn't need to install Visual Studio in order to run the application, just make sure that the appropriate .NET framework is installed and you copied all project files to the tablet (debug or bin folder depending on how it was built)

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 03:40:25 PM »
You just need to make sure .NET 4.0 or later is installed on it. If you install all of the Windows updates, which can sometimes take hours, it will pull the latest .NET framework.

I just a quick test on my small tablet that originally had Windows 8.1 Bing and was upgraded to Windows 10. It ran my AdvancedHMI app with no problems.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »
I just a quick test on my small tablet that originally had Windows 8.1 Bing and was upgraded to Windows 10. It ran my AdvancedHMI app with no problems.
I did just discover one quirk. If in Tablet mode, clicking on a BasicLabel to get a pop up keypad will show 2 keypads. Only one works and after hitting Enter, it goes back to desktop and the AdvancedHMI app is pushed in the background. I took it out of Tablet mode and it works as expected.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 03:51:53 PM »
Just for reference, this is the low cost tablet I am testing with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PXBV4BK?ref_=pe_1196280_123950170

WellsCPak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »
Hey Archie, thanks for sharing the link to that tablet, it looks awesome!

abslcplc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »
You just need to make sure .NET 4.0 or later is installed on it. If you install all of the Windows updates, which can sometimes take hours, it will pull the latest .NET framework...

Archie,

Got the tablet, 10" Windows 10 32 bit; had to go to Settings - Turn Windows Features On/Off to turn on .NET 4.0 & it works.

The only thing is the screen has a default resolution of 1280 X 800, so I set a sample HMI at 1200 X 760 & when I ran it the window was about 150% bigger than the screen & I had to scroll over & down. I reset the windows in VS to 900 x500 & move the objects into that area  & it shows OK now. Have you ever seen something like this? Is this something in Visual Studio or the tablet's display?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »
The only thing is the screen has a default resolution of 1280 X 800, so I set a sample HMI at 1200 X 760 & when I ran it the window was about 150% bigger than the screen & I had to scroll over & down. I reset the windows in VS to 900 x500 & move the objects into that area  & it shows OK now. Have you ever seen something like this? Is this something in Visual Studio or the tablet's display?
My first guess is that it's a Windows 10 issue. Try switching off the Tablet Mode to see if that has any effect. It almost sounds like there is a magnification turned on.