Author Topic: Changing operation mode of a ControlLogix PLC  (Read 1115 times)

razm

• View Profile
Changing operation mode of a ControlLogix PLC
« on: March 27, 2018, 08:12:48 AM »
Is it possible to change the PLC mode (run/stop) of a Allen-Bradley ControlLogix via Ethernet/IP ?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Changing operation mode of a ControlLogix PLC
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
This was actually researched a few months ago. In older versions of firmware ( I think around V16), it was easy. Since then stricter security measures were put in place that now makes this quite difficult to do. The short answer is that no it cannot be done with the AdvancedHMI driver.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:02:07 AM »
The last version that allowed for mode changing was v19.  Starting with v20, it became "impossible".

NorbertoS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 05:26:48 AM »
The last weight loss pills for men version that allowed for mode changing was v19.  Starting with v20, it became "impossible".

You say that like there's still a way. Mind sharing the know-how? I'm just curious because I really liked this option in the older versions.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:54:34 AM by NorbertoS »

Phrog30

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »
You say that like there's still a way. Mind sharing the know-how? I'm just curious because I really liked this option in the older versions.

When I posted that, I knew my wording would leave this open.  I used "impossible" because typically, as soon as you say impossible, someone shows you that it is in fact possible.  It is clearly possible for *something* to change the mode of a controller remotely, or RSLogix wouldn't be able to do it.  That being said, the way RSLogix does it, is not obvious.  I spent a few days trying to understand but didn't get anywhere.

Starting with v20, there is some sort of authentication that needs to happen before the controller mode can be changed.  It happens at some point during the syncing of the offline copy of the program with the controller.  This is something that lingers in the back of my mind, I'd like to figure it out, just too many things competing for my time.  Maybe someday...