Author Topic: better graphics  (Read 1646 times)

MrPike

• View Profile
better graphics
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:30:54 PM »
Hi everyone, thought i would ask the experts how i can develop applications with better graphics.  right now my applications are very functional but very bland.  Everything is flat and has no dimensions.  i would like to develop more appealing forms but not sure how to go about it and would like to know how it is done by others.  Do I need to learn a 3D graphic software and put everything in as bitmaps?  Is the better way thru some kind of GDI+?  Is there another way?  I'm just not sure where i need to expand my horizons.  Any tips and advice is appreciated, thanks. 

Phrog30

Re: better graphics
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:48:29 PM »
Look at the latest demo, it has a basic shape control that will allow you to build better graphics. The only things really missing are polygon and ability to rotate, which is rather cumbersome to do.

There has been a lot of discussion the last few years on high performance HMI and it really steers away from fancy graphics and deals more with dashboards and useful info. Personally, I don't spend time creating graphics that are life like.

James

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:15 PM »
I find the easiest way to do graphics is to create PNG files. I personally used Adobe Illustrator to draw them, but it does have a steep learning curve. I have seen others use Solidworks.

In the latest beta version there is a new control called the Graphic Bar Level. It lets you draw a graphic that is filled instead of the standard rectangle bar level. It lets you do things like give the effect of a jagged cutout in a tank showing the inside of it filling.

As James mentioned there is a new buzz of "high performance HMI" that reduces the graphics. My personal opinion is that it makes sense, but if you were to put a non-graphic grayscale HMI in front of a marketing department, it would be thrown back to you in a second. I think there is a good balance of minimal graphics for appeal and easy understanding, but not to go overboard with colors and graphics because it then makes things worst.

Mikefly95

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:00:06 AM »
Develop your HMI in Unity and go VR with it!!

Just playing Happy Friday!!

Mike

MrPike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 08:05:39 AM »
Phrog30, I'm not sure what demo you are referring to, can you post a link?

Mikefly95, joking aside, I have been playing with Scetchup and DesignSpark but these are way over my head and not what I'm looking for.   thx :)

I have come to the realization that I will never create beautiful graphics but what I am looking for is adding bevels to edges, gradients, really just a little more dimension to the app than a flat image.  Are there any tricks to do these things?  Thank you. 

Mikefly95

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 08:08:18 AM »
I would recommend using GIMP the new version is amazing and thousands of tutorials out there!

I understand what you mean btw, I am a developer not a designer! My hat is off to those that can design pretty things!!

Mike

Mikefly95

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:11:05 AM »
But I was only partially joking btw, there are HMI developers using game engines to build some amazing things!!

Mike

Phrog30

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
Phrog30, I'm not sure what demo you are referring to, can you post a link?

Mikefly95, joking aside, I have been playing with Scetchup and DesignSpark but these are way over my head and not what I'm looking for.   thx :)

I have come to the realization that I will never create beautiful graphics but what I am looking for is adding bevels to edges, gradients, really just a little more dimension to the app than a flat image.  Are there any tricks to do these things?  Thank you.

I should have said beta, not demo...
https://www.advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=2058.msg11792#msg11792