Author Topic: Sending Text from my PLC to HMI with MODBUS connection  (Read 1677 times)

martinav

• View Profile
Sending Text from my PLC to HMI with MODBUS connection
« on: May 03, 2021, 11:34:52 AM »
I'm using the MODBUS connection to my AutomationDirect BRX PLC.  I'm not smart enough to mess with registers and such to send text from the PLC to the HMI.  Is there some structured method here to do this?  I dont want to get down into code either.  If there is no way developed to do this, I'll have to use some Visible true/false methods.  But, it would be so much easier to just send text I want from the PLC.

Thanks!
Rod

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Sending Text from my PLC to HMI with MODBUS connection
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 11:40:22 AM »
If using the latest beta version, you can use the address modifier @S10

https://www.advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=2657.msg15970#msg15970

martinav

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 03:44:46 PM »
I can t expect anyone to teach me 'C' or VB for this, but it looks like the code to make this function is in this post.  However, I can find no way to compile this into something that the DoMore Designer can access.  I think this is far above my skill levels.  Is there a free form code interface within the designer?  Or is this pure programming, and stuff I have no business messing with?

Thanks.

Ref
https://www.advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=1795.0

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 03:52:42 PM »
That code is now built into the V3.99y driver which is how the @Sxx modifier works

martinav

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 03:56:36 PM »
I feel like I',m missing something obvious to everyone but me.  I see no connection between do-more designer and this function into AdvancedHMI.  I have no way to convert the string into whatever format needed for these functions to work in your app.  How to I get my ascii text into WORD format?  Or, do I have to convert my text into WORD completely separate from DoMore designer, then push it into modbus?  That would mean my program cannot generate the string.  But, if that was the case, I would just type it into the HMI.  So, what am I missing here?

Thanks.

martinav

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 04:22:27 PM »
Ok, I stumbled onto CAST.  I would have no idea this would have anything to do with this.  Just found it by accident.  However, still no resolution, because source elements of a string value (SS#) done even show an address.  So, I'm no further even finding this detail.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 05:00:42 PM »
I know very little about the Do-More software, but would a MEMCOPY instruction copy from the SS register to the MHR registers?

martinav

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 05:24:46 PM »
I know very little about the Do-More software, but would a MEMCOPY instruction copy from the SS register to the MHR registers?

It is a great idea.  It was also my first thought.  However, text is not a valid format.