Author Topic: Start up problems VS and AdvancedHMI  (Read 1734 times)

mplekker

• View Profile
Start up problems VS and AdvancedHMI
« on: September 03, 2022, 05:34:58 PM »
Having some issues with my new laptop (windows 11 installed) and VS 2022.  VS seemed to install correctly, but when I click on the downloaded version of AdvancedHMI called AdvancedHMIv35.sln it starts up VS and comes with 4 error messages:  "The project file could not be loaded. Could not find a part of the path" and then the path of my computer.  It does this for the AdvancedHMI folder, the AdvancedHMIControls folder, the AdvancedHMICS folder and the AdvancedHMIDrivers folder, putting all 4 error messages into the error output box.  Anyone have any ideas why this is?

Thanks Mario

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Start up problems VS and AdvancedHMI
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 07:29:13 PM »
Having some issues with my new laptop (windows 11 installed) and VS 2022.  VS seemed to install correctly, but when I click on the downloaded version of AdvancedHMI called AdvancedHMIv35.sln it starts up VS and comes with 4 error messages:  "The project file could not be loaded. Could not find a part of the path" and then the path of my computer.  It does this for the AdvancedHMI folder, the AdvancedHMIControls folder, the AdvancedHMICS folder and the AdvancedHMIDrivers folder, putting all 4 error messages into the error output box.  Anyone have any ideas why this is?

Thanks Mario

Hey Mario, it's been a while since I have installed VS, but I remember you had to choose "for desktop" or something like that, the option was not selected by default.

mplekker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 05:11:34 PM »
I don't think so, because I tried re installing VS and selected all of the options you get in the beginning, including the desktop option.  Still comes up with the same 4 errors:  It cannot find the files.  When you try to open the files individually, it comes with a message that the file is read only and do I want to change it.  It does load after that, but files from that particular folder (let's just say the "AdvancedHMIControls" folder) are listed with a red x through it and you still cannot click on them.  I tried copying the AdvancedHMIv35.sln files to another folder too and extracting the folders there but again with no luck.  I am beginning to think that something isn't supporting windows 11 (I trying to run this on a brand new laptop) or something of that nature.  Is anyone running this on Windows 11 yet?

timryder

• Still trying to figure it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 09:37:59 AM »
The projects within the solution are mapped or hard coded to their locations on the Hard Drive, if you select the project which isn't working and look at the properties, it will tell you where that path is located on your HD. Often times what you need do is Remove the project from the Solution and re-add the project back into the solution with the new path.
Still just trying to figure out this thing called Life.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 09:47:32 PM »
VS2022 does not seem to support .Net 4.0 but should offer to update the target .Net version and this should be done for all projects within AdvancedHMI.

Maybe try to do it manually for each project.

Archie could provide more info but from what I recall targeting .Net 4.0 is done only for compatibility with the AdvancedHMI OPC drivers.

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 08:58:40 AM »
It does.  I changed them from 4.8 to 4 , clean and build, no problem.
My PC is win10 & VS2022.

https://www.advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=3042.msg17694#msg17694

===================================================
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 07:56:50 AM »
bacphi that seems to require all sorts of workarounds to make it work so if anybody asks then you can try to explain it to them.

mplekker has Windows 11 which can make things even trickier.

I am not familiar with Windows 11 but would suggest to mplekker to try keeping the AdvancedHMI project folder inside the Documents folder for proper access.

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 09:20:15 AM »
The link was just a reference that I last played with VS2022.

A fresh downloaded AAHMI project will compile with VS2022+Win10 and no error.
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 10:47:14 AM »
I was not referring to your link but to the overall compatibility of VS2022, which you can find here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releases/2022/compatibility

In your case the computer that you are using seems to have Net Framework 4.0 installed, possibly by VS2019 installation if you had one, and all other users who don't have it will probably have to do Google searches to find out how to install this.