Author Topic: EthernerIPforCLX: GetTagList Timeout  (Read 1521 times)

DoctorDubb

• View Profile
EthernerIPforCLX: GetTagList Timeout
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »
Hey all,

First I have to say that this is fantastic software, so props to Archie for working so hard to get to this point.

I have the subscribe/read/write process working successfully, but rather then entering in the tags manually I was hoping to get a list.

I am trying to get a tag list from a CLX PLC which has *a lot* of tags (including UDT, DINT arrays etc) using the following code: - [Now my understanding is that I wont be able to get the UDT as they require special communications using the driver, but was hoping that I could still get all other variables (including arrays)]

Try
            Dim tags() As MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers.CLXTag = Me.EthernetIPforCLXComm1.GetTagList
            Dim TagIndex As Integer = 0

For Each TagID In tags
                ComboBox1.Items.Add(tags(TagIndex).TagName & "  " & tags(TagIndex).Instance)
                TagIndex = TagIndex + 1
            Next
            ComboBox1.Sorted = True

Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(ex.Message)
        End Try

When I try to run its gets the following exception message: "Timeout when retrieving ControlLogix tags"

I am assuming the error is related to the number of tags that are declared in the PLC (out of my control), so I was wondering if there was a fix or workaround for this?

Cheers,
Steve

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: EthernerIPforCLX: GetTagList Timeout
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
Retrieving the tag list is a slow process. The command will timeout after 10 seconds, so if you have a lot of tags, it will not be able to retrieve them.

I added an option to be able to change the timeout period. It will be available in the next release.

DoctorDubb

• View Profile
Re: EthernerIPforCLX: GetTagList Timeout
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 10:21:16 PM »
Hey Archie,

Thanks for the prompt response, I thought that may be the case.

Ill look forward to the next release of the software.

Cheers,
Steve