Author Topic: Problem connecting AdvancedHMI to AB Micrologix 1200  (Read 5389 times)

toan08

• View Profile
Problem connecting AdvancedHMI to AB Micrologix 1200
« on: December 15, 2015, 06:15:23 PM »
This is a cool software, and I'm fairly new to the PLC world.  I used AdvancedHMI to create a simple software, and it works perfectly with RSLogix 500 along with the Emulator and virtual ports.  My problem is when I load up the software at school, it won't connect to the actual hardware Micrologix 1200, which is directly connected to the PC via serial port.  I checked RSLinx and the device uses COM1, so I changed DF1Com1 in visual studio to COM1 as well, but that didn't do anything.

How do you connect AdvancedHMI to Micrologix 1200?  My final semester is right around the corner, and this software will help me create a custom touchscreen HMI, but before I get there, I need to solve this connection problem.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Problem connecting AdvancedHMI to AB Micrologix 1200
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 07:34:11 PM »
Did you completely shut down RSLinx so the driver can get access to the COM port?

toan08

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 11:05:19 PM »
At one point, I'm pretty sure I shut down RSLinx by clicking on the X (not exactly sure what you mean by a complete shut down).  I thought you need RSLinx running in order to establish a connection to the Micrologix 1200.  So if I need to download a program to the device, I would have to run RSLinx initially and download the program.  Next, I would have to shut down RSLinx, and maybe restart everything, at this point don't run RSLinx at all so the driver gets full access to the COM port.  I want to make sure the controller has my program so when I run the HMI application, everything functions accordingly.

Thanks for the advice.  I will try again and post with updates.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 05:24:57 AM »
Only 1 program can have the serial port open. If RSLinx is running, then AdvancedHMI cannot get access to the port. If you are not sure whether RSLinx is completely shut down, go to Task Manager to see if RSLinx.exe is listed.

Dannamo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 04:32:10 PM »
Hello buddy did u figure it out
Am using DF1 and I did turn the rslinx off still not working ? Any luck

busarider29

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
Archie,

Reading this thread, I believe that this answers my questions regarding not being able to connect to SLC 505?  The machine is running right now and it uses a PV1000 for HMI.  I wanted to test some buttons and labels with AdvancedHMI and my program was not able to connect to the PLC when testing/debug.  I assume, after reading this thread, it is because the PV1000 is occupying the port??  If this is true, is it as simple as physically disconnecting the PV1000 from the SLC and then testing my AdvancedHMI solution??   

Thanks,
Don

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »
Reading this thread, I believe that this answers my questions regarding not being able to connect to SLC 505?  The machine is running right now and it uses a PV1000 for HMI.  I wanted to test some buttons and labels with AdvancedHMI and my program was not able to connect to the PLC when testing/debug.  I assume, after reading this thread, it is because the PV1000 is occupying the port??  If this is true, is it as simple as physically disconnecting the PV1000 from the SLC and then testing my AdvancedHMI solution??   
Are you using the serial port or Ethernet port of the 5/05?

busarider29

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
Archie,

I am using the serial port for coms between the SLC and PV1000.  The SLC is Ethernet and is routed to an unmanaged switch inside the control cabinet, whereby I can connect and go online with the SLC, with my laptop. 

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 04:17:40 PM »
If you are running AdvancedHMI on the same laptop that you are using to program the PLC over Ethernet, then AdvancedHMI will run without doing anything. It will work along with RSLogix and the PanelView.

But if you want to run AdvancedHMI using the DF1Com driver, then you will need to unplug the PanelView.

toan08

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 08:56:10 PM »
Hello buddy did u figure it out
Am using DF1 and I did turn the rslinx off still not working ? Any luck

I tried it, still no luck.  I even made sure RSlinx is not running in task manager, and it still didn't work.  I ended up putting this project aside, and did something else with vision system for my final project.  I do want to get this working as it will be cool to have a customized hmi with the micrologix 1200.

So far I can only get this software to work with the emulator, but when trying to directly connect to the 1200, it's totally different ball game.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »
When it comes to using DF1 driver, you guys should always attempt using different versions of AHMI.

Also, check other posts like these ones:

http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=516.0

http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f4143ac52268bdc997ea573f5d919054&topic=1140.0
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:33:28 PM by Godra »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 04:33:07 PM »
I just did a quick test using DF1Com with a MicroLogix 1100 and using version 3.99d. I tested with both AUTO baud and setting the correct baud rate, which was 19200.

I simply added a BasicLabel and set PLCAddressValue to N7:0

In both cases it worked correctly for me.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »
I just tested a project and it worked for me as well. The full solution can be downloaded from the link in this topic:

http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=516.msg4427#msg4427

What I suggested in my previous post, here in this topic, should still be looked at for educational purposes if nothing else.
In that same post, I did forget to mention that if AHMI can connect to RSEmulate then it should definitely be able to connect to the physical PLC.

toan08

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 10:18:44 AM »
I just did a quick test using DF1Com with a MicroLogix 1100 and using version 3.99d. I tested with both AUTO baud and setting the correct baud rate, which was 19200.

I simply added a BasicLabel and set PLCAddressValue to N7:0

In both cases it worked correctly for me.

Thanks for the tip, I will try what you did, and post back with results.

toan08

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 02:46:07 PM »
I finally got it working!  So this is what I did to get my physical MicroLogix 1200 working with AHMI version 3.99d.

1.  Use rslinx as usual so u can talk to the 1200, and write a simple program in rslogix 500 and download it to the controller.  Use something with on/off output so you can easily verify if AHMI is syncing up with your program.  In my case, I used a timer to turn on/off output 0 every 10 seconds.

2.  Shut down rslinx, and if you've already downloaded the program to the 1200, then it should be stored on the physical unit now.  You can simply ignore rslogix 500 at this point since there's no communication with the physical unit because rslinx is offline.

3.  Open up AHMI, and make sure to configure DF1com1 correctly, check the port setting and make sure it's the one your PLC is using.  I went into device manager and found my usb-serial cable using Com3.  I left everything else on default.

4.  Drag a label or something relevant to your program and sync up the PLC address value.  I used a DigitalPanelMeter with PLCAddressValue T4:0.ACC, and it worked fine.  *It may take a few seconds for AHMI to reflect your program.  Strangely it didn't' work right away for me, and after I relaunched the HMI again, it picked up the the ACC value and correctly displaying it.

Thanks Archie and Godra for helpful suggestions.