Author Topic: AB CLX driver in Version 3.99c and later  (Read 3645 times)

pal

• View Profile
AB CLX driver in Version 3.99c and later
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:15:30 AM »
Hi ,
I've downloaded v399c and now v399d and after building both these projects , only 3 of the ab drivers are available in the toolbox - df1 , plc5 & slc . How do i get the ipx driver in particular to the toolbox ?
I'm using vb 2010 .
Thanks Paul
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:06:25 AM by Archie »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: AB ipx driver
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:05:18 AM »
This is a bit of a fluke with Visual Studio. I found that performing a Rebuild Solution will make them show up.

What version of VS are you using? This problem seems most prevalent in 2015

pal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »
Hi Archie , Thanks for the quick response .
I tried rebuild no joy ! Reinstalled AHMI and tried again - No joy .
The computer is xp with vb2010 express .
Tried on a win7pro computer with 2010 express - still only the same 3 ab drivers .

Paul

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
Here is something that worked for me although I cannot explain why it worked:

- Right click the AdvancedHMI project in Solution Explorer and select Properties
- Select the Debug tab
- Choose the option Start External Program
- Browse to devenv.exe which will be in a directory similar to this:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
- Start your application like normal
- A new version of VS should open up, when it does open the same AdvancedHMI solution
- Open MainForm and check the TooLbox
- Close that second instance of VS
- Back on the Properties->Debug change back to Start Project option

As I was trying to locate this issue, I did that sequence and ever since, the 2 drivers started showing up in my ToolBox

pal

• View Profile
Re: AB CLX driver in Version 3.99c and later
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:17:51 AM »
Hi Archie , again thanks for the very quick response .
I opened up the form on which I'd placed another driver and a meter . Decided to delete them and build clean beforehand . Bingo ! The missing drivers turned up . Weird or what ?
Thanks anyway Archie .
On an aside , is there any reason you don't change the heading to reflect the latest build ? They all come up as AdvancedHMIv35 - very confusing !

Paul

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 09:31:48 AM »
Glad you got that working. It's some kind of quirk with VS and the new driver architecture. I have yet to get a clue as to why it happens.
On an aside , is there any reason you don't change the heading to reflect the latest build ? They all come up as AdvancedHMIv35 - very confusing !
The release version can be found in 4 places:

- The title of the MainForm
- If you go to the Properties of the project (any of the 3), then go to Application->Assembly Information

The AdvancedHMIv35 Solution Name continued from an older revision scheme in which it was to reflect major changes in architecture. but it was never continued nor abandoned.

pal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 10:01:10 AM »
Hi Archie ,
The reason I mentioned it is that in vb2010 , if youlooking to open a previous project , they all come up as Advanced HMIv35 . Finding the project would be easier if they came up under the revision number . I've got projects going back to v361 So ie with the latest version I see AdvancedHMIv399d .
I guess its only a "it would be nice if" though .
Paul

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »
Pal seems to be right about the AB CLX driver (this applies to Micro800 driver as well).

Once a fresh copy of the solution is initially opened, do the build (Ctrl+ Shift + B) and place a driver on the form.

After closing and re-opening the form the 2 missing drivers appeared on the bottom of the "AdvancedHMIDriver Components" list in the Toolbox.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »
The reason I mentioned it is that in vb2010 , if you looking to open a previous project , they all come up as Advanced HMIv35 . Finding the project would be easier if they came up under the revision number . I've got projects going back to v361 So ie with the latest version I see AdvancedHMIv399d .

It appears to be sufficient to rename the solution file and all previous projects should show with the name you give them (here is an example):

AdvancedHMIv399d.sln --> renamed to --> AdvancedHMI V399d - ML1000 Emulation.sln

Check the 1st attached picture showing the new name in the list.

Also, once the MainForm is open you can always update its "Text" property to reflect the same name and possibly change the icon (check the 2nd attached picture showing these).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:51:51 PM by Godra »

pal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 03:39:51 PM »
Hi Archie ,

If the problem with missing drivers is with VB2015 , are you using some code from 2015 to load the drivers to the toolbox ?   At present I'm still using VB2010 and first noticed the problem with V399c using VB2010 .

Paul

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 05:29:51 PM »
If the problem with missing drivers is with VB2015 , are you using some code from 2015 to load the drivers to the toolbox ?   At present I'm still using VB2010 and first noticed the problem with V399c using VB2010 .
There has been mixed reports on this problem. I no longer test for compatibility with VS2010, so I cannot say what the results would be with it. For me the problem was only in VS2015, but never in VS2013. Version 3.99e has a hidden patch that makes it work every time for me in VS2015.

pal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 05:39:31 PM »
Excellent !