Author Topic: HP Stream - , MS Surface Pro - Other Tablets..  (Read 1339 times)

DavidSr

• View Profile
HP Stream - , MS Surface Pro - Other Tablets..
« on: January 08, 2019, 08:35:57 AM »
Good Morning Friends!

I have read all of the posts regarding tablets but in the world of technology things change rapidly so I would like to know what the prevailing thought is, or just "Opinions" as to a decent Tablet to use for an office environment to run ADVHMI on. I want enough memory, power, and SSD space contain and to run the entire application so I can do edits also.

I like HP products so I lean that way but I am not hard and head strong on them. Right now I am wanting something inexpensive.

Thank you, have a wonderful day!

David
David

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: HP Stream - , MS Surface Pro - Other Tablets..
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 08:53:24 AM »
A finished application is very light weight and will run well on even the lowest end tablets that sell for less that $125. But if you want to edit, which means the need for Visual Studio, then you will want something more high end.

There has only been one tablet that I have used for VS development and that was the Microsoft Surface. It worked well, but they tend to be pricey.

DavidSr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »
OK Thank you Archie,  Being able to edit is not a requirement, more of a luxury, just running the solution would be fine to keep the cost down, so with that in mind- What should I look for and what should I avoid?

What operating systems are compatible? ( Got my answer regarding OS, But do you recommend any over others? )
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:54:46 AM by DavidSr »
David

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 11:00:51 AM »
Windows 7,8 and 10 are all compatible with the current version of AdvancedHMI, but I always stick with Windows 10 because the next time AdancedHMI is updated to the next .NET framework it may break compatibility with 7 or 8.

Every device that I have used with AdvancedHMI on that had Windows 10 was able to run the application well. This includes lower end Atom processors with only 2G of RAM.

It has been maybe 6 months, but I was still do a free upgrade form Windows 8 to 10. Its no longer the normal channel of Microsoft, but done by downloading the Windows 10 image. So if a Windows 7/8 tablet is the only option there still a chance to upgrade to Win10

DavidSr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 11:18:22 AM »
Any new developments on implementing Linux?   
David

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 11:29:00 AM »
Any new developments on implementing Linux?
The majority of AdvancedHMI components work on Mono/Linux. I do not personally do any Linux applications simply because I need to be able to turn my projects over to someone to maintain and be able to walk away. With Windows nearly everyone knows it and will attempt to fix any problem. With Linux, it is rare to have Linux knowledge in a plant.