Author Topic: I'm new. I'm lost. AutomationDirect Terminator IO ebc  (Read 1600 times)

mikehell

• View Profile
I'm new. I'm lost. AutomationDirect Terminator IO ebc
« on: March 20, 2019, 06:33:52 AM »
Hi. I'm new to all of this, and somewhat lost.

I've taken on a project that has Automation Direct Terminator I/O  connected via Ethernet to a computer running Kepware 4.x.  I'm rewriting software that will simply turn bits (relays) on and off synced to music. Nothing complex really.

I went down the rabbit hole of trying g to do it through an OPC server like KepDirect, but then stumbled on onto this, which seems like it would work better and be cheaper (currently running in an old XP box that will be replaced with something newer and require a newer KepDirect version).

Problem is that the addressing currently uses naming such as S0:DO1. (slot zero , discreet output one). Can't figure out the correct addressing. 

Problem two is that I can't seem to even connect to the control box.  I know what port it's using. Wireshark sees stuff going back and forth.  But attempting to run something like modscan on it, it will not connect. 

With AHMI I'm using the modbus tcp drivers. I can get it to work just fine with a modbus simulator, but it just craps out when connected to the automation direct box. I know it's gotta be something simple I'm missing.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: I'm new. I'm lost. AutomationDirect Terminator IO ebc
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:55:50 AM »
I will assume you are using a T1H-EBC100. Looking at the manual on pages 4-5 through 4-9 it shows the Modicon style addresses. The coil addresses would need to be prefixed with a 0, everything should work as designated in the chart.

It looks like the first discrete input would be addressed as 10001

Phrog30

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:25:40 AM »
I'm rewriting software that will simply turn bits (relays) on and off synced to music. Nothing complex really.

My I ask what you are controlling?  There are way better products available to sync stuff to music then using a PLC.

mikehell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 09:32:48 AM »
I'm rewriting software that will simply turn bits (relays) on and off synced to music. Nothing complex really.

My I ask what you are controlling?  There are way better products available to sync stuff to music then using a PLC.

Oh, believe me, I know.  It was built with grant money. Completely over engineered. Typical spend $250,000 on big equipment and then give a guy $50 and a copy of visual basic to write the software in mom's basement.  This whole thing is so something I probably could have done with an Arduino or Raspberry pi. 

Unfortunately I have to work with what I have, as there is no budget for the rewrite.  I somehow knew the software it's currently using was crap when I saw that the interface uses comic-sans font.

Phrog30

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:48:23 AM »
Ok, just curious.  Before I moved, I used to do a Christmas light show every year.  The HOA we have now would have a cow if I tried to do it.  But, I used controllers that were easy to use for this task and free software.  I know you say you are stuck with what you have, but in case you are interested and this stuff will port over to your task(s):
1.  Controllers I used: https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php
2.  Software I used: https://xlights.org/
3.  If you get bored and want to watch videos of my past life  :) https://vimeo.com/user59675733 (the videos are kinda bad, first go with a drone.

mikehell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 12:02:00 PM »
Ok, just curious.  Before I moved, I used to do a Christmas light show every year.  The HOA we have now would have a cow if I tried to do it.  But, I used controllers that were easy to use for this task and free software.  I know you say you are stuck with what you have, but in case you are interested and this stuff will port over to your task(s):
3.  If you get bored and want to watch videos of my past life  :) https://vimeo.com/user59675733 (the videos are kinda bad, first go with a drone.

If it we're me, I'd have gone the DMX route on this. But no, they hired some contactors to spend every cent of the grant money.  I hear talk about them contracting out a big Christmas light show.  I'm sure they'll spend a million dollars on something you or I could have done for a few thousand.  Such is the world of non profit organizations.

Anyhow. I'm pretty sure my current roadblock is the communication between the computer and the PLC.  I know the port number. I can ping it. Is there some sort if security blocking me?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »
Is the port number 502 ?

mikehell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »
Is the port number 502 ?

No. Upon closer inspection, it looks like I have the T1H-EBC and not the EBC100. The fine print tells me that the EBC does not, in fact, do modbusTCP.  I was told it's modbus, and didn't even check to make sure.   Do you have any idea which would be the correct driver to use?

Phrog30

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 01:24:23 PM »

If it we're me, I'd have gone the DMX route on this.

That's essentially what I was using. It's DMX (kind of) over Ethernet E1.31. That protocol sends universes similar to straight up DMX.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
Upon closer inspection, it looks like I have the T1H-EBC and not the EBC100. The fine print tells me that the EBC does not, in fact, do modbusTCP.  I was told it's modbus, and didn't even check to make sure.   Do you have any idea which would be the correct driver to use?
I only see an EBC100 on the AD web site, so I'm not sure what the protocol is used by your device. What port is Wireshark showing that it uses?

mikehell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Upon closer inspection, it looks like I have the T1H-EBC and not the EBC100. The fine print tells me that the EBC does not, in fact, do modbusTCP.  I was told it's modbus, and didn't even check to make sure.   Do you have any idea which would be the correct driver to use?
I only see an EBC100 on the AD web site, so I'm not sure what the protocol is used by your device. What port is Wireshark showing that it uses?

Yeah, they made it quite confusing. If you click on the pdf for the EBC it takes you to the EBC100 manual without warning.

T1H--EBC
UDP/IP, IPX
10Mbps

T1H--EBC100
TCP/IP, UDP/IP, IPX
MODBUS TCP
10/100Mbps

Does this help? 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:54:20 PM by mikehell »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 04:34:41 PM »
From what I gather it looks like it uses the DirectNET protocol. AdvancedHMI does not have a native driver for it. There are 3 options I see possible:

1) Use the OpcDaCom driver with an OPC server
2) Replace the module with the EBC100 and use Modbus
3) Develop a driver for DirectNET, which could take months

Phrog30

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 04:40:28 PM »
There are 3 options I see possible:

4) Do nothing and go drink beer

mikehell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 07:20:53 PM »
From what I gather it looks like it uses the DirectNET protocol. AdvancedHMI does not have a native driver for it. There are 3 options I see possible:

Option 4 seems the easiest.  ;D
But option 2 wouldn't be that difficult, replacing an old part is easy to get through the paperwork system. 

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 07:33:17 PM »
Option 4 seems the easiest.  ;D
But option 2 wouldn't be that difficult, replacing an old part is easy to get through the paperwork system.
Is the EBC100 a drop in replacement for the EBC?