Author Topic: Access advanced HMI from multiple locations  (Read 1438 times)

Gene T.

• View Profile
Access advanced HMI from multiple locations
« on: December 03, 2020, 11:01:55 AM »
I am looking for some guidance as to the best solution to view Advanced HMI from multiple locations. I know that I can place a local copy of HMI program on each workstation (which works just fine) but this limits knowing who made changes. If I try to use remote desktop then the local HMI is not viewable while remote connection is active. Customer is currently using ignition and likes the ability to access using IP address from any workstation he so choses. just curious as to what others have used to accomplish this.

Thanks,
Gene

MajorFault

Re: Access advanced HMI from multiple locations
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 11:10:29 AM »
I created auditing for each instance.  This allows record keeping for each instance, but you have to view at each device.  I always wanted to create a server/client system but didn't have time and knowledge.

Just curious, if they currently use Ignition, why not continue to use it?

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
you CAN use multiple remote desktop. It need to be "modified" or search for remote desktop server.
If viewing only needed, you can  a web server to AHMI.
===================================================
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.

Gene T.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »
Sorry I should have made it clear that the compressor system that I maintain for them is not part of their ignition SCADA. Ignition is used throughout their production process so they are versed with ignition. Looks like I may have to learn ignition.

MajorFault

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 11:44:01 AM »
Sorry I should have made it clear that the compressor system that I maintain for them is not part of their ignition SCADA. Ignition is used throughout their production process so they are versed with ignition. Looks like I may have to learn ignition.

It's very simple.  Lots of videos, manuals, and great forum. 

I'm not trying to persuade one way or the other, but I always try to standardize.  If the rest of the plant is Ignition I would integrate using that.  I would say the same thing if it were FactoryTalk, which I utterly despise using.

mnoble

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »
I've been messing with Thinfinity VirtualUI, it will allow you to open an AdvancedHMI application from any web browser  that is on the same network the application looks identical to the desktop application. The price is not as good as AdvancedHMI  ;D, but it still is a reasonably priced method to get your applications web based without much work. The downside I see is it opens up another connection to whatever PLC you might have your AdvancedHMI mapped to so you must keep that in mind, this can be limited by the number of licenses activated and to whom access is granted.   https://www.cybelesoft.com/thinfinity/virtualui/

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:59:35 PM by mnoble »

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
nice! Does it work on local intranet or just cloud based only?

mnoble

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »
It works on the local intranet
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:11:14 AM by mnoble »

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 12:43:32 PM »
Do you take AHMI project , then add one line of code and now it's web capable?

mnoble

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 03:38:02 PM »
That is pretty close to what I did after I added their vb code.  If you want to be able to run multiple instances of the AHMI project at once you have to unselect make make single instance application that held me up for a bit as I was thinking it worked similar to the simple webserver where in actuality it opens the application and loads it to its web server.  There is also a program that they provide that runs on the computer that you have the application.exe file sitting on that you will map your project to as well.  You will be able to share multiple AHMI projects or other projects to the web using the same computer/server and license.  It will simply show up as another option to pick from on the web browser.  This is also suppose to work on an Android or Apple browser as well, I have not tested this yet.

I've included a few screen shots of how I integrated and how the app looks on both the desktop and web server renditions.