Author Topic: Question about DH+ driver  (Read 2604 times)

Shark13

• View Profile
Question about DH+ driver
« on: January 29, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »
I'm starting a new project on an old SLC 5/04 that is DH+ communication. I want to get rid of the old panelview and build an advanced HMI. I'll be incorporating a PC to run the HMI software, ect.

I use a usb to dh+ converter for the PLC and panelview programming, is there a driver out there to support an older system like this for advanced HMI? I've tried the built in ones and no luck getting communications to work. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to buy a EthernetIP to DH converter? Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:52:04 AM by Shark13 »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Question about DH+ driver
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 10:02:53 AM »
There are a few options that have been tested:

- Set the pass through bit in the SLC 5/04 and use the DF1 serial driver connected to the RS232 port
- Use an Equustek DL3500 to convert serial DF1 to DH+
- An old AB 1770-KF2

Shark13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »
Ok, thanks for the response. My rs232 port is currently being used to go to an AB 1761-Net-ENI DF1 to Ethernet/IP converter for data acquisition. May be a silly question but is it possible to put a switch in right after that and go back through the converter EthernetIP to rs232 for the Advanced HMI?

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 12:06:41 PM »
Ok, thanks for the response. My rs232 port is currently being used to go to an AB 1761-Net-ENI DF1 to Ethernet/IP converter for data acquisition. May be a silly question but is it possible to put a switch in right after that and go back through the converter EthernetIP to rs232 for the Advanced HMI?

Not a silly question. I did something similar, but depending on the amount of connetions you use on the Ethernet side (the Net-ENI has a very limited amount of input connection, I think they are only two), you may be able to do it. If you type the Net-ENI IP address in your web browser you will be able to see some data like the actual connections to have a idea. Or you can just try with a sample app that reads a variable from your PLC, and see what happens.

There is another option I ended using, another interface like the Net-ENI but from a third party RTA Automation
https://www.rtautomation.com/product/515rtaeni-n34/
It has a larger amount of connections available, and has some other useful features not present in AB's. Downside, is that did not work well with an Ingear communication driver we tried to use with. It did not work with AHMI at the beginning but as usual Archie responded with a great support and made changes that fixed it. I think he added the patch to main beta.

Anyway, I think using the Ethernet connection will be the correct route for you.

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 12:08:41 PM »
Not sure, but I think the basice modules can be used with DF1, that you could add to your rack and communicate using the a serial port.

Please anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 12:12:32 PM »
Found that old post with the RTA Automation Net-ENI troubleshooting, just in case you are interested.

https://www.advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=2300.msg13425#msg13425

Shark13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 01:54:56 PM »

Not a silly question. I did something similar, but depending on the amount of connetions you use on the Ethernet side (the Net-ENI has a very limited amount of input connection, I think they are only two), you may be able to do it. If you type the Net-ENI IP address in your web browser you will be able to see some data like the actual connections to have a idea. Or you can just try with a sample app that reads a variable from your PLC, and see what happens.

There is another option I ended using, another interface like the Net-ENI but from a third party RTA Automation
It has a larger amount of connections available, and has some other useful features not present in AB's. Downside, is that did not work well with an Ingear communication driver we tried to use with. It did not work with AHMI at the beginning but as usual Archie responded with a great support and made changes that fixed it. I think he added the patch to main beta.

Anyway, I think using the Ethernet connection will be the correct route for you.

I only need 1 more connection really for the AHMI communication. At that point would the EthernetIP for SLC driver work, or would I need to use something else?

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 06:35:49 PM »
We have a micrologix PLC with the Net-Eni, so I would conclude that you need the SLC Ethernet driver.

Shark13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 07:02:59 AM »
I tried that with no luck. I've matched the IP to the ENI, and I get a "Write Failed!No response from PLC during write" error.

Shark13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 07:58:48 AM »
I have also tried the 3.99y patch and get the same result.

Shark13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 08:03:51 AM »
Could an RS232/DF1 cable splitter be used at the PLC? One side goes out to the ENI, one is dedicated to the AHMI?

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
I tried that with no luck. I've matched the IP to the ENI, and I get a "Write Failed!No response from PLC during write" error.

Did you try disconecting the HMI and connecting the Ethernet cable directly to your PC? To make sure there is no other connection interfering. Put the IP address of the Net-Eni in the driver configuration. Try restarting the Net-ENI, I had bad experiences with it at it seems to keep the connections alive for some time thus blocking new connections for a while.

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 10:26:20 AM »
Could an RS232/DF1 cable splitter be used at the PLC? One side goes out to the ENI, one is dedicated to the AHMI?

Never used one myself, could not tell.

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 10:32:34 AM »

I only need 1 more connection really for the AHMI communication. At that point would the EthernetIP for SLC driver work, or would I need to use something else?

I just checked and I used the driver "EthernetIPforSLCMicroCom1" to connect with the RTA Net-ENI, but it was the same used for the AB Net-ENI.

Edit: See Attached
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:34:05 AM by Sprungmonkey »

Shark13

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 10:45:21 AM »

Did you try disconecting the HMI and connecting the Ethernet cable directly to your PC? To make sure there is no other connection interfering. Put the IP address of the Net-Eni in the driver configuration. Try restarting the Net-ENI, I had bad experiences with it at it seems to keep the connections alive for some time thus blocking new connections for a while.

I'm plugged directly in with my programming laptop to the Net ENI. Using the EthernetIP for SLC