Author Topic: Introduction, and Rugid hardware  (Read 1464 times)

SLOweather

• View Profile
Introduction, and Rugid hardware
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:15:13 PM »
I'm new to AdvancedHMI. I learned controls and instrumentation many moons ago on Bristol Babcock Network 3000 RTUs and DCSes> My first HMI was their "TrollTalk" with character graphics, running on Concurrent CPM (!). Then they moved to Fix32. Before I left that job, we had over 50 units on 5 networks, and at least that many HMI machines.

Now I'm  adding to the programming on a 7 RTU network of Rugid Computer RUG9s that operate our neighborhood water company. Going into the 4 year of drought here in California, I want as much visibility on our 6 wells and storage as I can get. I'm adding water level sensing to the wells, and some other alarming like rate of drop in the tank level. (We had a big leak in December, and such an alarm would have saved us ~30,000 gallons of water compared to the low level alarm we had then.)

I don't see a Rugid driver for AdvancedHMI, but I assume I can interface to the master RTU via a couple of MODBUS arrays, eh?

Chris

(also learning OPTO22 SNAP programming, but that's a story for another day...)

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Introduction, and Rugid hardware
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 04:56:36 PM »
Welcome to the AdvancedHMI forum.

I took a quick look at the Rugid on the web site. This was my first time seeing these units. I did see in the specifications that it does support ModbusRTU (slave) communications. So it should be fairly straight forward using the ModbusRTUCom driver in AdvancedHMI.

The trickiest part of Modbus is figuring out the addressing to use. The AdvancedHMI driver uses the common standard addressing such as 40001. But it also can use function code directly by using an address like 3:0001, which would force it to use function code 3 and address 1 (offset 0).

Hope this helps.