Author Topic: Micrologix 1100 I/O addressing issues  (Read 4446 times)

Swarfster

• View Profile
Micrologix 1100 I/O addressing issues
« on: December 30, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
I have installed Visual Studio 2015 Express and opened the AdvancedHMI V3.99a project successfully.

My aim is to build a HMI for training purposes and after adding the driver EthernetIPforSLCMicro1, a Momentary Button and Pilot Light and all is looking good.
The Ethernet connection is working fine, as the Ethernet port status LED's and COMM1 indicators are lighting up when I click on a Momentary Button.

The issue is the first output pilot light is correctly working on O:0/0 however the PLCAddress I:0/0 is not working for the first input button.
I also noticed that the Momemtary Button only has a PLCAddressClick value to be set, not a PLCAdressValue like the Pilot Light.

Am I missing something? or has anyone else experienced the same issue with this configuration?

Thanks for the great automation tool.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:54:34 PM by Swarfster »

pal

• View Profile
Re: Micrologix 1100 I/O addressing issues
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:22:26 AM »
Hi Swarfster ,
I:0/0 is a physical wired connection from external input and cannot be written by an HMI . To get data from the HMI , you need to use either a binary or integer file . It is good practice to create a new file solely for comms from the HMI such as B20 and make the file larger than you need to allow future expansion . In this example you could set the length as 10 which would give you addresses B20:0/0 to B20: 9/15 . The same method could be used for data being read by the HMI . I.E. B21:0/0 to B21:9/15 . The advantage of having files specifically for comms to / from the HMI is that debugging and expansion / modifications to comms is so much easier if the comms are all in one place .
Paul

Swarfster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 08:14:47 AM »
Hi Paul, thank you for your speedy and helpful reply.
What started as a seemingly straight forward (seems so easy on the AdvancedHMI video) creation of a virtual HMI has rapidly exceeded my knowledge/experience.
I created the two new Data Files as you suggested.
Data Files>New
File: 20
Type: Binary
Name: B20 - HMI-IN
Elements:10
I repeated the process (B21 - HMI-OUT) and ended up with the ranges you suggested, however after checking out the manuals and online I am struggling with what to do next.
Would you be able to point me in the right direction please? I'm enjoying the learning experience as this is my first efforts at interfacing with a HMI.
Thanks again for your assistance, I look forward to your reply.
Neil

pal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »
Hi Swarfster ,
You haven't mentioned which plc model or software you're using so what follows may be a bit vague .
Since you have got the pilot light working , you've overcome the comms set-up just fine . In your PLC program , change the output address from O:0/0 to B21:0/0 . Write a new rung and use an XIC instruction with address B20:0/0 and an output ( OTE ) with address O:0/1 .
In the HMI program , change the pilot light address from O:0/0 to B21:0/0 . Change the button click address to B20:0/0 . Build the Project and try . The physical output O:0/1 on the PLC should turn on when the button is pressed .

In the AdvancedHMI \Documents folder you should find a motor control pdf which Archie has included as another simple example of getting started with the HMI .
Paul

Swarfster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:29:45 PM »
Hi Paul,

I'm using an Allen Bradley Micrologix 1100 (8 digital inputs/2 analogue inputs/6 relay outputs) and expansion module with 8 digital inputs/6 relay outputs (1762-IQ80W6).
Your recommendations worked perfectly. Do I need the second file (B21 - HMI-OUT) at all since I'm using only physical outputs in the HMI program?
I have a simulation box (8 I/O) wired up to the PLC as well and it was good to see the HMI commands control the outputs on both the HMI and PLC. Only issue is since changing my PLC program to run with the HMI, the physical inputs no longer work (realise now that I must decide what inputs need for control, unless both are put in the program and use the HMI as a remote control)

Thanks again for your ongoing support, I'm enjoying exploring PLCs even more now.

Neil
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:34:25 PM by Swarfster »

pal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »
Hi Swarfster ,

Glad you've got it working OK - Archie really has done a great job in developing AHMI and making it so simple to get started with .
Do you need the B21 file ? Whilst you are still learning and for small programs - no . However I suggested the exclusive use of input and output files for connection to the HMI because as you learn and create bigger HMI programs with many lights , buttons and analog it becomes hard to work out where your PLC gets data from and also what apparently unconnected OTE or OTL instructions are for .
In fact I tend to use 2 larger integer files ( N files ) to handle both bit and word transfers to/from the HMI . I also tend to have 1 or 2 sub-routines in the PLC exclusively for HMI interfacing . Believe me - it is tedious going back to a program after a couple of years if you don't . But bear in mind there are several different ways to program PLCs and HMIs - its just working out whats best for a particular solution .
Physical inputs can of course be placed in parallel with HMI inputs and steering logic to select which is used . For example , you might have automatic operation of equipment from the PLC and manual operation from the HMI for testing etc. with a select switch choosing which mode or you could do it from the HMI with a keypad used for entering a manual mode password .
There are several demonstations of AHMI on U-Tube and also some of the posts on this forum should also be very useful to you .

Good luck as you learn and also a Happy New Year to you .

Paul

Swarfster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 02:22:13 AM »
Hi Paul, I appreciate your help and ideas.

I totally agree!, Archie has done a top job creating the Advanced HMI. I'll definitely let my work colleagues and students know about it.
It really is flexible and very powerful when coupling a PLC with Visual Studio (the Ethernet link is especially good).
The Ethernet link from Advanced HMI also worked even with RS Linx active (also linked through Ethernet), and the RSLogix Micro programming software running which meant I could be online and even see what everything was going in my PLC program.

I've been playing with Arduino on the side, however this is industrial grade. All I need to do now is find a system integration project to work on.
My Advanced HMI now even has a timer (digital meter readout on HMI) and access to all I/O on my PLC including the expansion module. I did run into some trouble with some outputs O:1/0 and O:1/1 'sticking on' but found I had made some errors in my timer address on the EN and DN bits. All fixed now.

Happy New Year to you too, I would be pleased to help you one-day if possible (hydraulics/pneumatics/mech engineering).

Neil

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:41:17 AM by Swarfster »

pal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 04:57:15 AM »
Hi Swarfster ,
Good to get feed-back and thanks for the offer of future help .

Paul