Author Topic: getting errors trying to hook up to an AB 5/05 PLC  (Read 815 times)

georgegraz

• View Profile
getting errors trying to hook up to an AB 5/05 PLC
« on: January 20, 2021, 08:48:09 AM »
trying to hook up and get 6 floating points values and trend them. I started out using an old one I already had working, then just change what I needed  to. That didn't work. So, this morning, I downloaded the newest one & tried just one Value, N7:61 , instead of floating point. Still the same issue. I searched and found one where you wanted to see the debug log. But, I can't find where it is enabled. Attached is where it dies in VB.
Thanks
George

georgegraz

• View Profile
Re: getting errors trying to hook up to an AB 5/05 PLC
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 08:48:52 AM »
Another attachment

georgegraz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 10:12:09 AM »
More info. I installed the newest one this morning. I created both 2 Digital displays. One N7:71, the other F9:15. I now don't get any errors, but they both read 0 (zero). I can ping the PLC from that laptop. I can see values in both of them from the PLC end.
Thanks for looking.
George

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 02:43:26 PM »
When it comes to the SLC 5/05, the first thing to consider is whether it supports Ethernet/IP. The first generation only supported the CSP protocol. I do not know exactly which series or firmware that Ethernet/IP was first supported by the SLC 5/05. An easy way to determine is to use WireShark while online with the PLC. If it supports Ethernet/IP , you will see ENIP and CIP packets in the capture

georgegraz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 05:15:23 PM »
Some more info. I ended up plugging it into the serial Port. This 5-05 system Ethernet Port has been an issue for a few years now. A new processor didn't help, Allen Bradley Engineer couldn't find an issue. It works with a few other 5-05 and a server - no problem. So, thanks for the help. If I hook up & run Wireshark, how do I capture a few minutes of data with it?
Thanks
George

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 10:13:16 PM »
Start a WireShark Capture, then start the AdvancedHMI application. It only has to run for about 10 seconds to get the right data.

In the filter at the top, narrow down to the traffic with the PLC by entering ip.addr==xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x's are replaced with the PLC IP address