Author Topic: SOFTWARE UPGRADES ADHMI & VISUAL BASIC  (Read 1325 times)

DavidSr

• View Profile
SOFTWARE UPGRADES ADHMI & VISUAL BASIC
« on: December 29, 2022, 07:42:04 AM »
My PLC is an Allen Bradley 1785 L20E  (PLC 5/20 E) Only one I develop for now ..    I generally do not upgrade software unless there are compelling reasons to do so, - don't  fix what isn't broke ----

There are some non serious quirks in the version of ADHMI I use that the latest version has not resolved so I have not bothered to upgrade.  I am still running 399y BETA 33 because I have not seen a need to upgrade based on what changes have been made (nothing for PLC 5s or the actual HMI ) but I would like to know if there is some reason I should.  I notice there has been no upgrades to ADHMI for nearly 2 years now.  Archie is obviously very busy with his new business projects. Good for Him.

AND ...Although I have occasionally used the latest version of VB,  my development machine defaults to VB 2017.   I have not seen any fixes for the many quirks in 2017 when I use the latest version.

So... are there any critical or notable reasons to upgrade either of these besides the "Stay current mentality for security issues ? Are there any functions in the latest VB that would aid in the development of ADHMI?

David

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: SOFTWARE UPGRADES ADHMI & VISUAL BASIC
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 08:56:42 AM »
When upgrading across minor versions and the application is reasonably small, the process is typically easy. Sometimes can be done in less than 10 minutes. Sometimes there are improvements that are very minor or even not easy to describe so they are not put in the release notes. I just prefer to keep up to the latest version. Also keeping up to incremental updates will mean the next upgrade is easier as opposed to updating across a large gap in versions.