Author Topic: Official Raspberry Pi Touchscreen  (Read 2237 times)

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Official Raspberry Pi Touchscreen
« on: September 14, 2015, 03:45:39 PM »
Anybody check out the Raspberry Pi touchscreen?  I have one of those Tontech(ish) 7" displays and I must say, I'm now regretting buying it.  The official screen looks a lot better and integrates much better (power, mounting, connecting).  The Tontech was a bit of a pain to setup too with re-compiling the kernel and in my case dealing with xinput_calibrator to calibrate it. 

http://makezine.com/2015/09/08/now-on-sale-the-official-raspberry-pi-7-touchscreen/

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Official Raspberry Pi Touchscreen
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 04:18:20 PM »
I was looking at that and even had my finger on the Buy button, but decided to wait until I finish some of my real projects before I add any more pet projects. I wish I had the 3D CAD skills to design a case for it that would allow in wall or panel mounting of it. Would be a good project for 3D printing too.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:27:31 PM »
I have a 3d model that could be printed for that screen we have.  I can send it to you if you want it.  I got it from another site, then one of our mechanical engineers modified it a bit because there was some scaling problem.  He was going to have it printed at a public library but they wouldn't because they said it would take too long (they have size and time limits).  it's not really a wall mount, more of a case that sits in a stand.

I'm with you, I spent a little time looking into 3d modelling.   The ME at work offered to sit down with me and show me the ropes, I'm going to take him up on it pretty soon.  A few of us have been talking about going in on a 3d printer, we haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I think we might once we figure out what we want.

WellsCPak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »
On the topic of 3D printing, I just wanted to throw you a recommendation for a printer.
I have a Lulzbot TAZ 4 printer that I love. It's a little pricier than a lot of cheap "consumer" printers you can find (there are a lot sitting around $500), but you definitely get what you pay for. They just released a new hotend that allows you to print in PolyCarbonate materials, as well as the usual ABS, PLA, wood, clay, and nylon filaments. There are also a couple flexible filament options available (that require a different extruder), but they're pretty cool. All of the printer firmware is open source, and their printer is designed to be "open hardware" as well and they release all the models/gcode for the printed parts on the printer and extruders. AlephObjects is a great company, they have awesome support and an active community.
Here's a link to their latest printer, the TAZ 5: https://www.lulzbot.com/products/lulzbot-taz-5-3d-printer

Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »
I was looking at that and even had my finger on the Buy button, but decided to wait until I finish some of my real projects before I add any more pet projects. I wish I had the 3D CAD skills to design a case for it that would allow in wall or panel mounting of it. Would be a good project for 3D printing too.

I have the 'official' R Pi 7" touchscreen up and running and have to say - it's nice.   No issues at all getting it connected and operational with either Raspbian/Jessie or with Win10 IOT.

There are a number of low-cost 3rd party cases on the market now for it as well, although I haven't come across any that are 'industrial duty"....................