Author Topic: Raspberry Pi + Advanced HMI for Commercial Environments  (Read 6208 times)

Skyl3r

• View Profile
Raspberry Pi + Advanced HMI for Commercial Environments
« on: September 18, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
Hello all!

Right now, I'm just the tech guy for my company, but my manager asked me to look into HMI alternatives to our expensive AB ones. For a while I was stumped. All I could find were HMIs that were cheaper but not rated too well or HMIs for similar prices but not rated as well. So I figured "Oh well, we already got the best there is."

Then I saw my friend's RPi and I was like "Wouldn't it be neat if I could use that as an HMI?" Then I googled it, found Advanced HMI and saw that several folks had used AHMI with Mono and now I'm here.

Now, what I wanted to know is if there's anyone else out there who has considered using a RPi in a commercial environment especially with mono and AHMI.
How's the reliability? Will Mono cause random crashes if AHMI is running for long periods of time? is the RPi itself too fragile?

I have figured out the display/touch screen situation, but I'm concerned about the dependability of the RPi itself. Any input?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Raspberry Pi + Advanced HMI for Commercial Environments
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »
I have never deployed a Raspberry Pi into a real application, so I cannot speak from experience. However here is my take on it.....

If it is a non-mission critical application such as a production display, then by all means go for it.

If it is something more crucial, then consider the cost of the Pi and a monitor. Let's say $50 for a Pi, flash card, and case. Then $400 for a large TV. So your cost is $450. So now let's look at the next option up in cost which could be a VENSMILE iPC002 for $117 and a $400 TV. So our cost comparison is $450 versus $517 (about 15% higher). The lower cost running on Linux/Mono and the higher cost running on Windows/.NET.

Mono is a very powerful and surprisingly complete framework, but once in a while you will run into some minor incompatibilities. So is $67 worth the reduced risk of an incompatibility that could take hours to resolve?

The other factor to consider is where is the expertise with those who will support it? Do more of them know how to get around Windows or Linux?

Skyl3r

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 07:26:14 PM »
Hello Archie, so, this is an excellent point you bring up. To be honest, the only mini computers I was really familiar with was the RPi and Beagleboards.
This little machine looks incredible. I'm tempted to purchase one for my own personal projects.

So, essentially, we want a microcomputer that will power the HMI and then a 7" - 10" touch display. It needs to be resistive in order to be waterproof.
To give you some perspective, right now our HMI's are costing between $400 and $3000. We don't have any displays larger than 10". If we can even cut the cost to half with equal or increased productivity, it is well worth it.

Compared with the RPi this looks like a much better alternative. The cost difference is negligible when you consider the fact that you're still saving $2500 (83%) not including development time.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 08:05:13 PM »
On most of our machine applications we use an industrial panel mount PC between 8" and 15" that typically cost in the range of $1000-$1500. Since AdvancedHMI is a compiled application it is very efficient and uses very little CPU so it runs well on low cost PCs with an Atom processor and 2Gb or RAM. I have learned from experience to always use an SSD and a fanless PC. The SSD not only lasts virtually forever, but makes a huge difference on boot up time.

Skyl3r

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
Hello Archie,

Thanks for the response! After careful searching; management has shown significant interest in Panel PCs.
I appreciate the input and help. I had the opportunity to test out AdvancedHMI yesterday and it communicated perfectly with our machines with no problems.

I just have to figure out now if an onscreen keyboard is gonna be a hassle or not...

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »
I just have to figure out now if an onscreen keyboard is gonna be a hassle or not...
On a few applications that I needed more than the pop up keypad/keyboard that are built into some of the controls, I just used a wireless keyboard. But of course wireless devices do tend to sometimes walk off.

Skyl3r

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 10:38:16 AM »
Hello Archie. There's components that have a built in keyboard? I've been trying to find them but I haven't been able to thus far. Are they in an add-on pack or something along those lines?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 10:45:28 AM »
The BasicLabel is probably the most commonly used one. If you put a valid address in PLCAddressKeypad, then at run time when it is clicked, it will pop up a keypad. If you need more than just numeric input, you can set the KeypadAlphaNumeric property to True and it will give a full keyboard.

If you wanted to use the keypad in your own code, you can use then MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Controls.Keypad control

Skyl3r

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »
Ah, I didn't realize that's what that was for. Most excellent. This is exactly what I was looking for.

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 12:35:52 PM »
On most of our machine applications we use an industrial panel mount PC between 8" and 15" that typically cost in the range of $1000-$1500. Since AdvancedHMI is a compiled application it is very efficient and uses very little CPU so it runs well on low cost PCs with an Atom processor and 2Gb or RAM. I have learned from experience to always use an SSD and a fanless PC. The SSD not only lasts virtually forever, but makes a huge difference on boot up time.

Can you recommend one or two?
===================================================
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.
===================================================

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »
We probably have the largest install base of these

http://www.acrosser.com/Products/Panel-PC/Panel-PC---8''/AR-H080FL-D525DT/Atom-D525-AR-H080FL-D525DT.html

We have always bought them without a hard drive and install an SSD and Windows 7 Pro. Acrosser has a very long lead time so if you need it quick IVC Displays sells the exact same unit under their line of medium duty.