Author Topic: Siemens driver development for AdvancedHMI  (Read 4008 times)

Noe

• View Profile
Siemens driver development for AdvancedHMI
« on: June 25, 2018, 11:03:01 AM »
Archie, I have found some post in PLCS.net where you mention like one year ago you started to develop a Siemens Ethernet driver. Just wanted to know if you are still on the project?

Seems that Siemens is gaining strength in America, mainly because of price.

bachphi

• View Profile
Re: Siemens driver development for AdvancedHMI
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »
Have you tried LibNoDave  or S7.net or snap7 or DotNetSiemensPLCToolBoxLibrary?
===================================================
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.
===================================================

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 12:54:17 PM »
A Siemens driver has been on the to do list for a number of years. It has never moved up to a high enough priority to actually be fully developed. An experimental driver was once created for the S7-200, but that was set aside. Because of the high cost to develop a new driver, as a general rule they are only created when a project for the system integration side of business has a need for it. Up to this point no projects ever came our way that would use a Siemens PLC. A couple times some projects were discussed but either never materialized or we did not get the business.

I would like to see AdvancedHMI support Siemens, but unless a project comes along or a reasonable increase in hardware sales were to be expected from it, it's hard to justify the development cost.

Phrog30

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »

Not from my experience.  AB is still the preferred PLC choice for all of our customers.  It's also the preferred choice from other integrators that I talk to.

Now, HMI is different.  I'm seeing Indusoft and Ignition the front runners.  Most of our customers hate FT, as do I.

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 06:41:48 PM »

Not from my experience.  AB is still the preferred PLC choice for all of our customers.  It's also the preferred choice from other integrators that I talk to.

Now, HMI is different.  I'm seeing Indusoft and Ignition the front runners.  Most of our customers hate FT, as do I.

Our company had the policy to use only AB, but in recent years and after getting clients like BMW, they decided to go on "cheaptest with quality", as they found Siemens was same as good as AB with a 30% less cost. Integrators in USA are not willingly moving or being flexible, and that may be one of the main reasons most of the 2 millions investment on machines went to Europe integrators. So far good quality machines, but programs sometimes are hard to understand (even they have "English comments", Siemens is new to me) mostly some have a high level of programming and mixing two or three different programming languages, we will find out in the long term I guess. And this is only a couple of new lines. A whole new plant in Indianna will have also mostly Siemens, again, much of the equipment is being developed in Europe, same reasons.

Some of our integrators in US do work with Siemens, and when we visit their facilities they have other machines being developed for other clients, some AB some Siemens. That is why I see a new trend. A couple years before this was very rare to see.

I had been running tests with a Siemens PLC demo with LibNoDave and Modbus. It works, but not at the level I like as AHMI does. I just discovered Snap7, will give it a try. I have a special project where I will have to add a Siemens PLC in a database application that already communicates with five AB PLCs, so AHMI+Modbus have been my choice so far. Not the best because Modbus limitations, but still usable. I will be very happy when Archie gets the opportunity to develop a Profinet driver, and will be glad to test it and try to help if I can.

All I can say is thanks Archie for sharing your hard work, there is no way we all can thank you enough. I am glad to tell I have "followed" you during some years, still cannot believe how you manage to have time to do all the stuff you do.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:47:13 PM by Sprungmonkey »

ScottM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 09:47:04 AM »
I see this is an old topic and I'm sure this has been resolved, but I use the attached driver with great success in my plant with over 50 S7-300 PLCs, So far only for machine interface and data acquisition but it seems very stable.

(Not My Driver, I found it in the forums) If this is not allowed please feel free to delete.