Author Topic: 7" PC  (Read 1256 times)

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
7" PC
« on: January 03, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »
At one time there was discussion about 7" touchscreen pc. Archie is there any chance this could happen in the future? I'm interested in switching one of me customers (an equipment oem) from from a non-pc hmi but if I do it needs to be something that will be around for awhile.  thanks.

Phrog30

Re: 7" PC
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:29:15 AM »
If Archie doesn't offer it, look at advantech. I've used them and they offer many different choices.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »
An 8" has just finished passing the final tests on the last prototype, so it will be starting into production. The cutout dimensions for it is 225mm x 170mm. It actually has a higher resolution screen than the 10".

There was a low cost 7" that was tested, but it was based on Linux which would make it difficult to support, so I put a hold on going any further with it for now. There are certain controls in AdvancedHMI that do not work on Linux, so a stripped down version would have had to be made just for that panel.

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 02:12:21 PM »
Do you have a price point established for the 8"? thanks.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »
Do you have a price point established for the 8"? thanks.
It should be around the same price of the 10" since it does have a higher resolution screen. I don't have an exact figure yet because all of the production costs have not been determined yet.

How soon would you expect to need them?

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 03:02:26 PM »
there is no hurry. It may be over their budget anyway if it's going to be around the 10" cost. I'm still planting seeds for a switch.

I'll just keep an eye out for the release and go from there.

thanks

Phrog30

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 05:20:36 PM »
It may be over their budget anyway if it's going to be around the 10" cost.
Umm, last I checked Archie was selling the 10" for just under $1300. How much cheaper would it have to be? People are spending that much on iPhones.

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:20:07 PM »
Haha!  Yeah but did  you see apple stock today ;) 

My customer is currently using a brand name HMI and paying around $700. I was hoping it would be in that range. I obviously don't know the market :)

Phrog30

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:57:11 PM »
Most of the brand name HMIs use proprietary software and can't do but one thing, run the application. Cmore for example, it boots fast, but add a bunch of graphics and animations and it is slow. Try running a Windows app on it. What about SQL? Not gonna happen. I think the price point Archie has is a steal. Also, most plants are too cheap and stupid to buy spare parts. Trying finding a cmore or panelview at two in the morning. But, with AHMI, run to Walmart and buy an emachines and you're back up and running. Or, I'm sure someone has a PC that could be used temporarily. You just have more options.