Author Topic: Temperature Controller  (Read 948 times)

DavidSr

• View Profile
Temperature Controller
« on: March 02, 2019, 08:13:29 AM »
Do you have any documentation for your temperature controller?  Looked through the forum and did't find many discussions on how people are using it.

I am currently using some calculations in the PLC to anticipate when set point is going to be reached to maintain 1 degree from set point.

Calculations to use include furnace intake air temperature, output temperature,  Room Temp and Time to raise "X" degrees. I am using RTDs on a 1771-IFE to read the temps.
What can the AHMI Temperature controller do?
David

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Temperature Controller
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:23:31 AM »
The temperature controller is nothing more than 2 seven segments and 4 buttons integrated into 1 control. It doesn't actually do anything except show values and act as a buttons.

DavidSr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 10:06:25 AM »
The temperature controller is nothing more than 2 seven segments and 4 buttons integrated into 1 control. It doesn't actually do anything except show values and act as a buttons.

Ok  I  thought so, It is normally beyond the scope of an HMI to do control so that makes perfect sense. Having an up/down control like that is nice for that and could be used for other applications besides setting temperatures
Thank you!
David

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:12:04 PM »
Here is an article that I think is very interesting and might just fit what you want to do:

https://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/395260-idustrial-process-regulation-using-a-vbnet-pid-controller/

I haven't tried to use it yet but it's on my list. I did write a 'pi' control in 6809 assembler back in the 80's but I got the equation with the constants from our company mathematician who modeled the process.  I was just the implementor.

I don't normally like the HMI to do the work that I could easily do in the PLC, but there might be times that this would be appropriate.

DavidSr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 01:00:32 PM »

I don't normally like the HMI to do the work that I could easily do in the PLC, but there might be times that this would be appropriate.

I agree, I just wanted to make sure that if I used it it wasn't doing anything but what it does. The HMI is not the proper place to do control like that.  I was going to tackle the calculations myself, I don't think it will be too difficult. I might see if I can make the PID instruction do what I want. I have not messed with it for a very long time. I don't need an analog output for this because there is nothing to modulate on the equipment so we would basically just be trying to determine when the gas valve can be shut off and still reach the SP with little overshoot. We have a room thermostat on it but only use it as BU for freeze protection. The PLC  provides a lot more operating / programming options and remote access.

Thanks for sharing that site, I will take a look for sure.
David