Author Topic: Development On Multiple Computers  (Read 844 times)

AabeckControls

• View Profile
Development On Multiple Computers
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:15:02 AM »
I am developing a new project in 399vR1. So far it is going smoothly. I use 2 computers - 1 in the office and 1 at home, with the project stored in my OneDrive cloud folder - so any updates are automatically put on the other computer. Both computers are using Visual Studio Community 2015 with all updates and every install option. (I plan on upgrading to the new VS2017 when it is released this week) Both computers are Windows 10 Pro X64, with all updates and all .NET components installed. Both computers will create and edit projects on their own as long as the project is not opened on the other computer.

The problem I am having is if everything is good on one computer and I open the file on the other it opens fine, but then the next day if I open it on the original computer every page pops up a warning and if I click on Ignore either the pages that open are back to 300x300 with no buttons, labels, etc OR all the formchange buttons on every screen are gone. This has happened more than once.

If I don't open the file on the other computer everything is great day after day.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Development On Multiple Computers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
I looked into this a bit and it seems it has been an ongoing issue for a while. For example:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/ae6c274e-fcc6-4032-acb9-094f66c52eec/using-onedrive-as-default-save-location-for-project?forum=vssetup

It seems the reoccurring recommendation is to use Visual Studio Team Services. You can get to this through Team Explorer or using the Publish menu that will show up in the far lower right of Visual Studio.

AabeckControls

• View Profile
Re: Development On Multiple Computers
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
Archie,

I will try that, I signed up a Team (of me on 4 computers) but have never used it.

Thanks for a quick response - (Now back to the recipe post)