Author Topic: AdvancedHMI on Pro-Face touch panel running Windows XP  (Read 5171 times)

RedBinary

• View Profile
    • Red Binary
AdvancedHMI on Pro-Face touch panel running Windows XP
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »
I really hate it that my first couple of posts here are going to be support requests. I hope to have some screenshots to post of the interface I'm working on soon. I want you to know that I really REALLY appreciate the software! It's damned amazing! I just downloaded the libs on Monday & have already used it to help me breeze through most of a fairly complicated HMI in the time between my other tasks at work!

I don't have all of the pertinent information at my fingertips right now, but I will get it posted in here tomorrow at work. Mostly I was hoping there might be a known issue & workaround.

The PLC is a ControlLogix, the touch panel is a Pro-Face running XP. I'll update with the model tomorrow. When I try to run the built app on the Pro-Face the app immediately crashes. The communication test app I wrote just had 4 tags being read into 4 BasicLabels - 1 controller tag & 3 program tags. It worked flawlessly & was able to read & write fine.  After adding a few more controls it began crashing as described. I haven't had time to try adding & removing things to see if it is something specific. The issue does NOT manifest itself on the laptop running XP that I'm using to write the app.

Don't know if this will help, but the data that comes up on the error report dialog is:
Error signature
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: 80000004
BCP2: 806EDAE1
BCP3: 9AFF975C
BCP4: 00000000
OSVer: 5_1_2600
SP: 3_0
Product: 256_1

As I say I'll try to get more information on the panel model, etc. Hoping it's a known issue with a known fix, though!

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: AdvancedHMI on Pro-Face touch panel running Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
Would it be possible to install Visual Studio on the panel and run the app from the development environment? That will hopefully give more details on the error.

Another thing to try is to change to .NET framework 4.0  This can be done by right clicking AdvancedHMI in the Solution Explorer and selecting properties. You can change the target framework under the Compile tab. Depending on your version of Visual Studio, it may be at the bottom of the page under Advanced Compile Options

RedBinary

• View Profile
    • Red Binary
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »
I appreciate the quick reply! The ProFace has .Net frameworks 1.1, 2.0, & 4 client. After changing the build target to a variety of .Net target levels the problem persists. I like the idea of installing Visual Studio on the panel. It's installed in a production machine that will be running until a week or so before I can get some downtime on it to do that. I'll keep you informed of any updates as they happen. Thanks again!

RedBinary

• View Profile
    • Red Binary
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »
I meant to also say that I'll be installing the .Net 3.5 package & updates on the ProFace today

RedBinary

• View Profile
    • Red Binary
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »
Well getting the ProFace up to date on .Net didn't do the trick. The target machine is starting up on Monday & I'm unsure how long the run is. Usually not a full week. As soon as it's down again I'll try getting VS on it to see where it breaks down. My fear is that VS won't run either! I'll keep posting as updates update.

RedBinary

• View Profile
    • Red Binary
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
The machine start-up got put off until tomorrow so I was able to put the XPsp3 and Visual Studio on it. The VS installation had some goodies in it that were missing on the ProFace so the app runs like a champ now. Thanks!

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
That's good news. Those ones that run on one PC but not another are the toughest ones to figure out.

Mikelcharles1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 03:35:11 AM »
Thanks Archie.  I was able to get the communications to reestablish by catching the error and creating a new Dll instance.  It looks like this will work for now.
Sign up with pass4sure ccna security for getting incredible online wikipedia courses exam and Princeton University