Author Topic: Anyone Else Have VS Installer Suddenly Empty?  (Read 389 times)

AabeckControls

• View Profile
Anyone Else Have VS Installer Suddenly Empty?
« on: February 24, 2022, 08:54:25 PM »
I opened VS Installer on one PC and it had some updates, so I opened it on my other PC to update it and it shows empty - no VS installed at all, nothing to update.

I have VS2019 and VS2022 Community installed and they both run, just Installer says no.

Go to Microsoft's Developers forum and there are posts from others of the exact same thing, but microsoft immediately closes them because they didn't run a Collector program and include the zip file in their post.

I ran the Collector and posted the result and the answer I am getting now is I deleted a folder in either ProgramData\... \VS or one in AppData\Local\ .....\VS

With so many posts of the exact thing this has to be a VS problem, or a Windows Update problem in my thinking.

Has anyone else had this come up?

Microsoft's clever answer is to delete all the VS folders in ProgramData, AppData and Program Files (86) completely and do a complete reinstallation. Since I install most of the components of VS each install takes over 8 hours, and then has to go through its First Time Ran routine., plus lose all the Recent projects links.

AabeckControls

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Have VS Installer Suddenly Empty?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 10:01:25 PM »
Just to give an update after a week an half:

Microsoft is still implying that I went deep in \ProgramData and \AppData\Local and deleted the VS folders. So obviously all the other experienced VS users posting this same problem must have to?

They are still saying to delete EVERY VS folder in \Program Files,  \ProgramData and \AppData\Local and completely reinstall VS even though that will take a full day or more, and refuse to believe this is a problem either with VS or Windows Update that they need to deal with.

They also don't like the suggestion that VS Installer be able to look for installed components in \Program Files and figure out what is installed and then work, as both VS2019 and VS2022 are fully working, they just won't update.