Author Topic: Reading/Writing Tags  (Read 6965 times)

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Reading/Writing Tags
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »
I made a little program that we can send to our customers to read/write tags in the event that they are having trouble.  We can use it to help them troubleshoot, or make adjustments without having to send service techs out.

A while back a customer started running a different product on their machine which exposed an issue with timer based filter we had on a sensor.  We had nobody available to send out to help them at the time, so we sent them this tool and they could adjust the timer preset.

I also added the ability to read multiple tags at once (the lower text box).  If we need to know the values of multiple tags, we just send them a text file that lists the tags.  They drag and drop it into the text box and it will read them and display the tag read and their values. 

Not the prettiest, but gets the job done.  There are other things that it does, but I figure this is the only thing that anymore might care about.

justin.holmes

• View Profile
Re: Reading/Writing Tags
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:21:38 AM »
I am having some trouble understanding how to deal with tags. I have used AdvancedHMI quite a bit with Logix500 applications and I an trying to switch over to 5000. Can you share a copy of your program so I can learn how this is done? Or perhaps let me know where you were resourced with the information. It would save me a lot of frustration and time.

thanks,
Justin

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:41:21 AM »
Justin, I don't mind sharing it, but by reading this and your other post, I'm guessing you don't want to look at it.  There are a lot of things going on in my program that go beyond just getting an object to link to your PLC.

How about this, I'll create a simple project that talks to a tag in the PLC.  I'll send it over and you can take a look.  If you have questions, post back.

Edit: Here is a basic example of linking digital panel meters to a controller scope and program scope tag.  I was using a V20 1769-L32E.  My IP address was 192.168.1.42.  Like I said, if you have any questions about it, let me know.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:54:43 AM by dmroeder »

justin.holmes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »
Thanks a ton! I am downloading the zip file now. I will give it a go and see if I can fix myself lol.

superman7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 03:02:07 AM »
This, I'll create a simple project that talks to a tag in the PLC.  I'll send it over and you can take a look.  If you have questions, post back.

dperalesit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:19:53 PM »
By any chance you still have this? Or can maybe just reply on the tag format of a 5000 processor.
I've read on a 500 before, but unsure how to represent the main routine on a 5000.

eggwong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
Justin, I don't mind sharing it, but by reading this and your other post, I'm guessing you don't want to look at it.  There are a lot of things going on in my program that go beyond just getting an object to link to your PLC.

How about this, I'll create a simple project that talks to a tag in the PLC.  I'll send it over and you can take a look.  If you have questions, post back.

Edit: Here is a basic example of linking digital panel meters to a controller scope and program scope tag.  I was using a V20 1769-L32E.  My IP address was 192.168.1.42.  Like I said, if you have any questions about it, let me know.

Hi Can you reupload your sample ? Thanks in advance

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »
Hey guys sorry for not replying earlier.

Dropbox was banned at my work so I'll try to remember to do it this afternoon (and leave it there this time).  It really is pretty easy though, there is nothing fancy you have to do to talk to a CLX.  Just add the driver, assign it an IP address.  Add a digital panel meter to your form (or whatever control you want), put the PLC tag name in "PLCAddressValue" property and run it.

Try it out and if you have any problems post back.