Author Topic: Some questions about historical capabilities.  (Read 705 times)

boardmaker

• View Profile
Some questions about historical capabilities.
« on: December 18, 2018, 04:51:42 PM »
I have an application coming up that will need to write to a sql database.  After a batch of product has ran for a predetermined amount, I need to print a historical line chart.  The process typically takes 2-3 weeks.  The line chart would be temperatures and setpoints.  I've quickly glanced and I'm not sure it's possible with Advanced HMI.  Was wondering if any of you guys do something like this?

I've done this project in the past with Indusoft but have always wanted to give AdvancedHMI a try and this would be a good reason.  I've also never setup a sql database but like above, thought this would be a good reason. 

Just for info, the controller will be an Automation Direct Domore, communication with the pc  via Modbus.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Some questions about historical capabilities.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 06:24:30 PM »
It's never a question of whether it can be done with AdvancedHMI. but more of a question of how much effort does it take. When it comes to database interaction the only built in tool is the Data Source tool (View->Other Windows->Data Sources). Beyond that it does require some VB code writing. At a bare minimum it takes 3 lines of code to write to a database.

On YouTube is a video named HMI Challenge that shows an example of logging data toward the end of the video. Since database interaction is purely a function of .NET, you can find countless examples all of the internet of how to read/write to a database using VB.NET