Author Topic: Testing a New Theme  (Read 2346 times)

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Testing a New Theme
« on: January 28, 2019, 12:22:58 PM »
I'm going to change the default theme again to something that is hopefully more phone friendly, but not more difficult to read. If you changed your theme to something other than default, you can try the new theme by switching to UX.

I'd like to hear some feedback on anything from colors to how well it works on phones.

bachphi

• View Profile
Re: Testing a New Theme
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:48:05 PM »
my phone was OK before the change, now I need to slide over to read. I am using Safari.
Color & Font look OKay
===================================================
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.
===================================================

Phrog30

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 08:06:24 PM »
My phone was ok before the change as well. Now the colors are awkward and I have to scroll horizontally. I assume we can change the theme back if we want?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 08:19:09 PM »
I assume we can change the theme back if we want?
Yes, you can change to any of the available themes including the previous.

It seems the iPhones are being difficult because I am not seeing any issues on an Android.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:00:35 AM »
I tried this on an old iPhone 5 and it worked ok. I also tested it on the Firefox browser for Android. So it appears to be a problem on the newer iPhones.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »
My favorite is Speedy with the exception that text in a post without a carriage return displays one line with a horizontal scroll bar.  If that could be fixed, Speedy wins for me.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 02:08:15 PM »
I just tried Speedy on my phone and I do have to scroll to the right on every post I checked. With the UX theme it looks like any time the code blocks are used it does not adapt to the phone and requires scrolling to the right.

What do you like best about Speedy? Maybe I can get that one working correctly on the phone.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 03:59:29 PM »
What do you like best about Speedy? Maybe I can get that one working correctly on the phone.

It's hard to pinpoint.  I like contrast between the dark (but not black) boarder and the color scheme of the forum layout (Speedy).  The every-other-post alternating colors is nice.  Something about the pure black and the red color or UX seems very 90's to me.  I think the "Topic Summery" below the reply is not displaying the previous posts to be quoted (UX).

I am using UX for a bit to see if I get used to it.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 05:02:24 PM »
I tweaked the colors a little and made the alternating post color a little more pronounced.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 05:48:59 PM »
I tweaked the colors a little and made the alternating post color a little more pronounced.

Noice, that is looking pretty good.  The "Topic Summary" looks like it's populating text now.  The "Posted by" and the time stamp are white text, which is hard to see.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 06:08:07 PM »
Those item colors should be a little better now.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 06:24:34 PM »
Those item colors should be a little better now.

I'm liking it.  Of course, I'm one opinion.

One non-theme related thing, I always thought that your AdvancedHMI logo should point back to your main site rather than redirect to the main forum page.  The "Home" button seems good enough for getting you back to the main forum page.  Just a thought.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 07:06:58 PM »
[One non-theme related thing, I always thought that your AdvancedHMI logo should point back to your main site rather than redirect to the main forum page.  The "Home" button seems good enough for getting you back to the main forum page.  Just a thought.
That's a good idea. I like it.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 08:10:24 PM »
Prior to this change my Firefox on iPhone SE started displaying the posts properly- no more scrolling sideways to read but when writing posts I had to scroll sideways.
I discovered the problem was related to a combination of the right hand ad and code block or quotes in a post. That is why it seemed to sometimes work and other times required scrolling.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »
I have been testing on the Samsung Internet Browser and Firefox. But I think the problem was narrowed down to the combination of the ad and code blocks together, not a particular browser. I think it was just coincidence until today when I looked at a post on my Android and had to scroll right.