Author Topic: Siemens Protocols  (Read 3204 times)

baguinn

• View Profile
Siemens Protocols
« on: October 21, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »
Any plans on developing some Siemens drivers such as MPI, Profibus, or Profinet?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Siemens Protocols
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:37:27 PM »
There are plans to develop an MPI driver, but not sure the timing. It keeps getting delayed because of the demand for other features and drivers. I haven't had any projects based on Siemens come along for over 3 years, so then driver keeps get pushed down in priority.

baguinn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:10:05 PM »
Thanks Archie.

My new position is 100% Siemens so right now the only way to use Advanced HMI is with an OPC Server.  Which is not bad, I just know there can be other ways.

Thanks Again,

baguinn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »
Just checking in again to see if there has been any consideration for a Siemens ethernet driver?  Or if anyone has any examples or advice on how to use Libnodave with Advanced HMI.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:03:48 PM »
Unfortunately still nothing in sight for a Siemens driver. It has been a very popular request. I still haven't had any projects that need a Siemens driver, so it still sits on the spare time list. The majority of the new drivers and controls are developed whenever we get a sizable project that requires them.

I've tossed around several options that could help get this driver done sooner such as trying to see what it would take to get the developer of the SNAP7 driver to help with an AdvancedHMI version of his driver.

baguinn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:26:23 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll keep checking back. As much as I would like to know how to develop this myself,  it is outside my capabilities at this time. I'll check into Snap7 to see if I might be able to figure out how to use it.

aquilmustafa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:21:04 AM »
Hey  baguinn
I did got my hands on some sample program from net. Developed by Mr. Bryan Goose he used libnodave library with AdvancedHMI to provide with Siemens Ethernet and Serial Protocol. I've tried it on two of my Projects successfully. The only problem with it is that it won't take digital tags above M0.7 so I tweaked it a little more to go upto M2.7. I just hope this will help you start off with something.

I'm unable to load the project here just mail me at aquilmustafa@gmail.com and I'll provide you with the backup. I'm unable to load the project here as it won't take more than 256kb of file.

baguinn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »
I found that one also. It was based on ver 3.21 if I remember correctly. Many of the functions had been removed. I was able to get some help and get around my DCOM issues with our OPC server. I will probably just stick with that until there is a native driver available. Besides, from what I am learning about Siemens, the number of connections is critical. It may be advantageous to use the OPC server since it is already in place for shop floor applications. Thanks for the suggestion.

DougLyons

• View Profile
Siemens Protocols
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »
Baguinn,

Can you share some of the things that you found to get around your DCOM issues? I am curious about how you did this and it could help others as well.

Thanks.