Author Topic: Screen saver/Display off Restore  (Read 881 times)

Phrog30

Screen saver/Display off Restore
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:58:41 AM »
I am currently testing out two touch panels (windows 7).  I'm not using a screen saver, but do allow the display to turn off after a period of inactivity.  The problem is that when you touch the screen to wake or turn the display back on, you can also hit buttons on the screen.  Besides not using a screen saver or keeping the display on all of the time, is there anything to prevent this, either in a windows setting or some other global setting?

James

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Screen saver/Display off Restore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »
I did a quick test with the AdvancedHMI panel PC with the default Windows 10 OS image. I created an application with a single button that was almost the same size as the screen. In the click event handler the text of the button will change:
Code: [Select]
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Button1.Text = "Clicked"
    End Sub

I ran the application and let the screen turn off, then touched the screen to see if the button text would change. I first touched briefly, then tried again by holding my finger on the touch screen. In both cases the text would not change until I released and pressed again after the screen came back on.

So I am not sure if this is a difference in the hardware you are using or the Windows 7 vs. Windows 10

Attached is the application I tested with.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:46:15 PM by Archie »

Phrog30

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:41:35 PM »
Try your test with a message box. Have the button call a message box. I have two different models, both windows 7, they both do it. If I use a screensaver, it will not, unless I use a screensaver and turn off the display, then it will.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 07:16:18 PM »
I tried it with the button calling a message box and I get the same results. I have to click once to wake up, then another click to trigger the button.
Code: [Select]
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        'Button1.Text = "Clicked"
        MsgBox("Button Was clicked")
    End Sub

I have no screen saver and set the screen to turn off after 1 minute for the test (They are normally set to 4 hours)

I can make a video of it to post in a few minutes.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »
Here are the videos:

https://youtu.be/jv7uYT-Otcg

https://youtu.be/EesfH0FOye8

The first one uses a normal click to wake, then a second click to activate button. The second video holds the touch screen until it wakes, then release and click to activate button.

Phrog30

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »
Thanks for taking the time archie. This is the challenging part, dealing with differences in hardware. On cmore or panelview I generally leave the displays on all of the time, so really these should be no different. I have a workaround, so I at least have options.

Thanks again.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:02:13 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have a Windows 7 image to narrow it down to an OS or hardware difference.

Phrog30

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 11:46:49 AM »
I understand.  I appreciate the testing you did.