Author Topic: More than just PLCs  (Read 4299 times)

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
More than just PLCs
« on: September 12, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
Many devices support ModbusRTU communications. With the ModbusRTU driver you can use AdvancedHMI with more devices than just PLCs.

I successfully tested this with and AutomationDirect temperature controller (SL4824). I used the AutomationDirect USB to RS485 adapter (USB-485M) to connect a PC to the temperature. After changing a few communication settings in the temperature controller, I was able to display Set Point and Actual Temperature in AdvancedHMI.

Soon I will test this with an AutomationDirect servo drive to see if I can control a servo without a PLC.

fohdeesha

• View Profile
Re: More than just PLCs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:27:38 AM »
I've also had no problems pulling power usage information from a Wattnode - http://www.ccontrolsys.com/w/WattNode_Modbus

AdvancedHMI is working great to poll the device and display house kwh usage, amperage, voltage etc. Great program!

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 03:08:10 PM »
I tested out the ModbusRTU driver with an AutomationDirect Sure Servo (SVA-2040). It worked perfectly with both an RS232 cable (SVC-PCCFG-CBL) and with RS-485 using a USB adapter (USB-485M) along with an SVC-485CFG-CBL-2 cables. Just have to set the communication parameters P3-00 through P3-05 to match your cable and settings in AdvancedHMI.

A simple servo control can be achieved with only the servo and AdvancedHMI!

qwideman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »
This looks like fun! Thanks a lot for your hard work. Hopefully I can use the RTU driver after I finish this project.

This driver should be useful for school/education demos - Where the student can see possibilities immediately, without first having to know how to program the PLC.