Author Topic: Access Datalogging  (Read 3652 times)

sopenco

• View Profile
Access Datalogging
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:06:56 AM »
Maybe there is already a feature I can't find in Advanced HMI to do this, and if I'm missing it pardon me for posting.  I think it would be awesome if there were a module that allowed a VB-idiot like myself to just drop in tags or addresses with labels and a log interval and have the HMI update an MS Access file periodically.  I'm sure it's been done by somebody, and it's probably not too difficult for a person who actually knows VB.  It would certainly be nice to be able to get away from FTView SE HMI's!!!!  Cheers, and keep up the terrific project development!

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Access Datalogging
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:23:59 AM »
Database logging is unfortunately one of the most complicated tasks when doing in VB.NET. It's not something that can be explained in a single post, but you can look at the Entity Framework for .NET to give you an idea of where to start. It is the .NET way of interfacing to a database:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/ef.aspx

However, there is a BasicDataLogger component currently in testing that logs to text files. Next to follow will be an AdvancedDataLogger that will log to a database table.

sopenco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »
Hey, I appreciate your reply and suggestions!  I'm surprised to hear the datalogging from over .NET is so difficult - you would think Microsoft would make it easier for their products to communicate with one another.  I think tht'll be just one more reason for me to stick to programming PLC's and leave the PC stuff to the PRO's! 

Dusy007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 05:29:15 AM »
I do have a SimpleDataLogger component that is also in testing. It simply connects to a single register and can be set to write the data to a text file either on a time interval or on change of data.
AAA

TSLJon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:17:48 PM »
Hi Dusy, can you share that?