Author Topic: Who has run applications long term?  (Read 3023 times)

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Who has run applications long term?
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:19:17 PM »
A question has come up about long term stability of AdvancedHMI. I personally have quite a few applications out there that run 24/7 without a restart/reboot except in cases when the facility loses power.

What experiences have others had with long term running of an application? I know the latest version is only days old, so if you have an app to mention also note the version number.

Noe

• View Profile
Re: Who has run applications long term?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »
Not sure if this will help, but I have a database application built with v3.52 (it's old, I know...) but works pretty well 2 shifts, 6 days per week. Just had ocasional crashes, but nothing bad. It pulls an integer and a string from an SLC 5/05 and the same from a Compact Logix. I am still working on a new aplication with v3.6.2 that will run very similar to former.

scott.clark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:00:34 PM »
I have an AdvancedHMI application that I installed January of 2014.  Other than some minor updates I have made to add some display pushbuttons, it has been running 24/7 on a 32bit WinXP oem box.  No reports of any exceptions or crashes.  If I remember, it was v3.62
 :)

I have a new application in the works now with v3.97d

I am still making lots of changes everyday,  but I leave it running all night with no issues so far.

Friedrich

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:00:21 AM »
I have an 3.62 application running 24/7, and has been doing so for the last 7 months. It has occational crashes, but I haven't been able to pinpoint why since the guys who use it just starts the program again.
Running on a panel-PC with WinXP 32-bit embedded.
PLC is a SLC5/03 connected via RS232 (DF1).

Friedrich

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 11:06:02 AM »
Correction; The program doesn't crash, instead someone accidently opens the form with PLC errors that I made. They thought it was the program crashing :)
That means the program is stable and runs 24/7.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:51:08 PM »
Just to comment on this question since I don't have any version of the program running 24/7 (and don't really see a need to run it that way to question its stability).

Those who do use this program should remember that it is a computer program and unless they have clean and stable dedicated computers to run it on, the program could randomly crash either due to operator error or flaky hardware or some other software or just plain timing/communication issue (this not necessarily related to any programming side of it since most bugs do get reported and fixed as soon as they occur). AHMI users are the ones creating applications so they should always try to look for any possible mistakes they might have made. Windows itself  might randomly crash, "for no reason" as some would say.

If the program is capable of running for 1 hour it should be able to run for 1 or 10 years as well.

There is always room for improvement but I think that this program is extremely good and stable as it is. If version 3.52 is not good enough for someone then just try another version (it's free anyway), or if you do find a bug in any of the latest releases then just report it. Just generalizing and not referring to Sprungmokey's post at all, since he suggested that this particular version 3.52 works just fine.

De gustibus non est disputandum --> it refers to a taste but, to quote Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_gustibus_non_est_disputandum , "the implication is that everyone's personal preferences are merely subjective opinions that cannot be "right" or "wrong," so they should never be argued about as if they were" (unless one can provide facts to support it, which in the case of AHMI stability, and from a few responses received, plays in her favor).

English is not my native language, so if you do find something stated above as unclear then just let me know.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:13:47 PM by Godra »

baguinn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 08:14:45 PM »
I have a chemical batching application that has been running for about 3 1/2 years now (ver 3.23). It runs 24/7.  It has had an occasional crash,  but not sure if it was software or hardware related, as this application is running on a standard Dell desktop PC.

I have other applications that have been running for about 2 years,  also ver. 3.23. I have not heard of any problems with them. They are running on dedicated industrial PC's.

Joe Matkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 12:07:32 AM »
I have an app running since march of last year on a panel pc. can't remember what version I used.  It runs a oil field water flood. clx processor with 8 point I/O racks.  connected to a sierra wireless gateway static IP has 48 alarms and will email based on alarm config. crashed once. Lightning took out the panel pc.

Jody